Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 95

Hello All,
This is my first post on this site. I am working on one of my Philco model 95 receivers and have run into a problem.  Has anyone had any experience in restringing the tuning cables on the tuning condenser? I am asking if there are any tricks or methods to getting the cables installed and tracking right. I have been at it for about 2 hours and am running out of ideas.  The cables were off the drums when I got the set, but all the pieces are present, including the springs.  I can see how it is supposed to operate, with the cables rotating on opposite spools and keeping the tuning drum in tension, I just haven't figured out a means of getting both cables installed.  To be honest I am getting a little frustrated. Icon_crazy

I am also wanting to know if there is a safe way to clean the brass tuning dial.  All the numbers and lines are intact and I would like to keep it that way.  What is a good cleaning method to use here.

Thanks for any advice in both matters.

Chris h

Hi Chris, welcome to the Phorum!  Unfortunately I can't answer your questions but since no one had responded yet I just wanted to welcome you and let you know there will likely be someone who can help.  

Chris

Send Phorum member Radioroslyn (Terry) a PM or email. As I recall, he has done this work before and can advise you on how to do it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(12-27-2014, 11:18 AM)klondike98 Wrote:  Hi Chris, welcome to the Phorum!  Unfortunately I can't answer your questions but since no one had responded yet I just wanted to welcome you and let you know there will likely be someone who can help.  

Thank You
Bob. I appreciate the reply.

Chris H
N9WHH

(12-28-2014, 09:49 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Chris

Send Phorum member Radioroslyn (Terry) a PM or email. As I recall, he has done this work before and can advise you on how to do it.

Thank You Ron...I will give him a PM. I appreciate the information.

Chris

Chris H
N9WHH

Hello All,
Well, after a lot of thought and trial and error, success at last!  I spent several hours this afternoon in restringing the tuning condenser and tuning knob.  It was not easy and I am not sure I could describe just what I did to someone else on the process, but it is working as it should with all the original components.  Just a note to Radioroslyn; I appreciate your offer to help, but could never get a strong enough cell signal to make the call from my shop.  Thanks again though.

Now on to other things; such as taking care of the electrolitics, and any out of spec resistors, and getting some fuses installed.  Hopefully when I get the condenser back in it will play as well or better than it did when I started.  Looking forward to the rest of the project.

Chris H
N9WHH

As far as cleaning the tuning dial, DO NOT use water! The ink is water soluble. I'm not sure what is a good cleaning method.

Icon_thumbup  Glad to hear you got the tuner strung! Persistence pays off!

(01-19-2015, 08:50 AM)Kestas Wrote:  As far as cleaning the tuning dial, DO NOT use water!  The ink is water soluble.  I'm not sure what is a good cleaning method.

Last night I experimented on one end, where the part number is etched on the dial band, with Gojo (w/o pumice). It did not affect the etched lettering as far as I could tell.  So I let it sit there a little while before rubbing off; still no apparent change.  After all, all that I wanted was to clean off 80+ years of goo and dirt. I went on and cleaned the entire band. It got off most of the crud...not perfect, but looks much better than it did. I am guessing that the brass has a lacquer finish on it and that is what protected the etching.

I did learn my lesson before, after washing the etching off a similar band on my Radiola 18.

Chris H
N9WHH