Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 59 Antenna Transformer

I am working on my Philco 59-C. The antenna transformer part number: 32-1388 has a primary open. I have tried rewinding it with mixed results. I am wondering if maybe someone can tell me how many turns it needs or recommend a replacement.

I found this on e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-radio-L-...7675.l2557

I already went ahead and bought it, but I am curious whether or not it will work. If it will not work I may use it for another project.

Thanks,
CP

Didn't you count turns and notice the directions before you took off the old winding?

I can tell you from experience that the coil you bought more than likely will not work. Mainly because, at 2 inches long, it will not fit in the can under the chassis. On mine the OSC coil was open, (and Ron did an amazing job of rewinding it for me), so I had to remove it and saw its length. The antenna coil looked to be the same length, as far as I could tell (didn't have it out), and as such it's at least a half inch shorter than the 2 inch one you found. But save it. As you said, it may work on a different project!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Thanks, NostalgiaRadioTime! I may try and order the universal one from AES. It is smaller so I would not run into any issues with it fitting! Icon_e_biggrin

Morzh, I tried counting the turns of the old winding, but it was bad enough corroded that when I started the unwinding process it just continually broke! Icon_problem

Same was the case here but you need to count nevertheless.
Well, I guess too late now.

When you rewound it, how did you decide how many turns you needed?

PS.

If anyone knows the capacitance of the tuning cap (meshed/open), and if we can have exact diameter of the bobbin and length of winding we could try to figure the turns.

Which part of the coil is bad, pimary (antenna side) or seondary (tube side)?

It is the primary side that is open.
I decided how many turns it needed based on the space where the old coil was. My uncle and I rewound the coil again last night. We wound the primary the same direction as the secondary and filled the space where the old coil was.
We were able to get stations across the dial, but they were not very loud even at full volume!

Could the wrong number of turn cause low volume? If not then we may have the antenna coil problem fixed.

No. First it is a regen.
And it needs alignment.
Without this you are not getting anything very loud save the local stations.

I have the regeneration peaked right now.
I managed to pick up Nashville, Tennessee which is about 500 miles from me. I will try and align it and see what results
I get.

Agree, seems like you got the coil problem licked. If you have low volume, problem could be alignment as suggested, or the audio circuit. Best.

Thank you guys for the help! Icon_biggrin

I did an alignment last night and now have great volume!! I will go ahead and check a few more resistors in the audio section, but I think I  have the electronic restoration done!