Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help Identifying Radio

I have not seen this in person. Any idea of the manufacturer?
thanks
Roy

Attached Files Image(s)

nothing here. searches my head off and got nothing. pics of the back would definitely help.
Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

A Crosley by any chance?

I'm thinking air castle  or air line

Similar styles were made by Climax, Silvertone, Zenith, Crosley....

I checked all globe crosley's. there is a Wilson dial that sort of matches but no climax that I saw. The Wilson had the 2 globes and 2 antennas but not right next to each other. no cabinets that matched either.
I asked on the other boards so we will see.
Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

(12-29-2014, 11:22 PM)mafiamen2 Wrote:  I'm thinking air castle  or air line

I agree.

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

(12-30-2014, 11:28 AM)PhilcoMike Wrote:  

I agree.

I am going to look at this radio tomorrow along with a Philco Tropic 42-788. I originally thought it might be a Crosley but could not find a dial scale graphics that matched. I will have a better idea tomorrow. thanks for all of your input. Roy

(12-30-2014, 12:42 PM)RoyG Wrote:  
(12-30-2014, 11:28 AM)PhilcoMike Wrote:  

I agree.

I am going to look at this radio tomorrow along with a Philco Tropic 42-788. I originally thought it might be a Crosley but could not find a dial scale graphics that matched. I will have a better idea tomorrow. thanks for all of your input. Roy
Well I picked up both sets. Still a mystery on the one radio. Tube compliment is 6J7, 6K7, 43, 25Z6, 50A2. I wonder if this was some type of kit radio? Added pictures.

Physically (that type inside the speaker cone) it is very close to a Halson I did for Kirk, plus it also seems to be an AA5.

Hi Roy,

From the look of the construction, I'd say that it was produced in Chicago.  It is a 4 tube radio with a ballast tube (50A2).  That said, the question is, are those really the correct tubes?  I cannot find a radio with that exact combination in the Mallory database, and there are only five radio's with the 50A2.  The Allied model 4053 comes somewhat close, having one each of 6C6, 6K7, 25Z5, 43, and 50A2.  I'll keep looking.  Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Hi Roy,

I think I've narrowed it down to either a Halson MG5 or an Air King 155, 165, or 1005. All have the 6K7, 6J7, 25Z5, and 43 tubes.  They list the 55A1 or 5541 ballast tube, but for all I know, the 50A2 might have been a filler or a sub.  I'm leaning towards the Air King due to the two globes with the TX antenna's on the dial, very similar to some of the other Air King's.  Good luck, and don't forget pictures of the finished product!  Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

I am being told it is a kit or a mismatch. The knobs are not equal on the cabinet so the chassis may not be to it.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

WOW  all the pro`s are stumped ?
we should make it into a contest Icon_thumbup
sam

It is also possible that it may have been a home brew set of some kind, if you look in the old magazines you could buy everything used in this set through many of the popular mail order catalogs of the time, I have also seen ads for companies that sold generic cabinets that one could drill and cut to fit the chassis of one's choice. The chassis looks almost home made to me, like whomever made it didn't have a proper sheet metal brake, and the notch for the speaker looks like someone cut it with tin snips. The speaker is a Quam, I recognize that rear bracket anywhere, the tubes are metal-glass types, rather unusual, I think that Sears Silvertone brand sets were the only notable brand to use them. The tube sockets used a snap ring to hold them in place, they may be Amphenol sockets, very few manufacturers did things that way.
Regards
Arran