Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

220, 220A?

Hello everyone.  I've been watching a chassis on Ebay to have a variety of spare parts for my 20.  On the tube shield it says "Model 220, 220A 20, 20A".   What were the 220 and 220A versions?  Looks identical to my 20 chassis.  Anything I should know before I bid on it??  Thanks in advance, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

The 220 model is the phonograph version but I would suspect the chassis is the same.  The "A" may identify the "later" or "earlier" version of the model.

As Bob said, plus: The "A" indicates a version made for 25 cycle AC operation. It has a larger power transformer made to handle 25 cycle AC current, plus larger capacitors in the multi-section can, which is also physically larger than that used in the regular (60 cycle) 20 and 220.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I actually thought of posting that lsting here with a question: the label does not say 20A so that should mean the radio is not capable of 25 Hz operation?

Right. You can run a 25 cycle radio on 60 cycles (60 Hz) but the opposite is not true; from everything I have read, a power transformer designed for operation on 60 cycle AC will burn up if 25 cycle AC is applied to it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yes, but my question is even more to the fact that the guy claims it is 20/20A whereas if label says 20 it cannot then be true, correct?

That is this particular chassis if plugged into 20 Hz will smoke eventually.

I'm guessing that Gary is referring to the tube layout sticker on the tube shield. Indeed, this would be correct for all the models listed.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Thanks everyone.  I should have consulted the "Philco bible according to Ron Ramirez"  before I bothered you.  I knew the 20 was built as a cathedral and consoles,  but never knew it was produced with a turntable also.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan