Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any restorers in SE Texas?

Hi all! I just joined the group and I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction.

I recently purchased a 41-265, ending a 20-year dream to purchase my own console radio.

(Side note: The first time I ever saw a console radio was at a flea market and I was 12 at the time. I think it went for around $400. After that, I knew I had to get one. Didn't matter the brand or model, as long as it looked nice to me. Over the next two decades, other expenses and bills got in the way, but I finally had the chance to purchase one I could call my own.)

I won't dare plug it in, but everything on the inside looks like what you'd expect for something more than 60 years old. On a positive note, it doesn't look like any modifications have been made to the components.

The exterior could use some work. While there are no major cracks or anything like that, it does show some regular wear and tear.

I'm not looking to turn this around and resell it. I'd like to keep it as a conversation piece. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys knew anyone in the SE Texas area who specializes in refinishing and restoration work.

Your help is appreciated!

What part of SE Texas are you in? I am just south of Houston and if you are not too far away, I could help with the electrical restoration.
You may want to consider membership in the Houston Vintage Radio Society
http://www.hvra.org
They have restoration workshops and a really good annual convention each February.

Dave1138 Wrote:What part of SE Texas are you in? I am just south of Houston and if you are not too far away, I could help with the electrical restoration.
You may want to consider membership in the Houston Vintage Radio Society
http://www.hvra.org
They have restoration workshops and a really good annual convention each February.

I'm in the Heights, actually. Not too far away. Is there a way I can show you pics of the interior?

I'm looking to join their group sometime. I e-mailed the group the same question, but I never heard back.

check your PM inbox

If anyone else is curious I've added some photos of the interior and exterior to my flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/topog/sets/...142360428/

Hi Top,
I am not near you, hope you can find a restorer. Nice cat in the pics.

I don't know if you know, but this set has photo finish or faux wood grain around the dial. Pic IMG_1413a shows it well. So, if you find a refinisher make certain that he does not try and strip that area. UNderneath photo finish is a cheaper wood, that does not look good, nor will take a stain well. Yours appears to be in good shape, so it will be worth trying to save.

Chassis looks a little rusty, I have een worse, and underside of the chassis looks like no one has messed up anything. so that's good.

Good luck on the resto of your set.
Gary.

Gary:

Thanks for your input! The are some cracks in the veneer (on the top), which I'm not quite sure how to fix. I'm reading up on the restoration process, so I'm open to all suggestions. At some point, I'll have to post questions to the refinishing forum, I guess.