Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canadian Philco 37-3116 Capacitor Question

Hello good people in Radioland Icon_biggrin . Digging into this set, it has a 25 cycle transformer and has an additional 2 capacitors connected across 2 chokes. The U.S. version (as far as the schematic goes) this info is omitted or the 25 cycle version didn't exist. Anyway, the Canadian version can be found here:
http://radio.codegods.ca/sites/default/f...ilco41.jpg
At the bottom left, on Data sheet 41, just above 1936-37 it says:
NOTE: On 25 cycle only, chokes No. 120 and No. 125 have a 1 MFD capacitor part No. 04357 connected across them.
These caps (rectangular cans) are in the radio, but because the Canadian schematic dosen't include a parts list, I have no idea what the voltage should be. Am I safe with 1 MFD @ 630 Volt ? or would a 1000 Volt be more suited here ?
Does anyone know the value of part # 04357 ? Has anyone run across this before ?
I did check out Chucks page here : http://www.philcorepairbench.com/metalcap.htm but didn't see it listed.
Thanks...
Tony

hi tony
I believe a 650v will be good.  arran  would know more about it
sam

100V would be enough. Go with 200V for the peace of mind.

How does it look, the chassis is exact same of 37-116?

Here is a photo of the 1mfd@??? Volt caps, they appear to be type "B" according to Philco repair bench metal capacitors web page. I don't see a 1 mfd cap rated less than 400 volts , with some in the 1200 to 2000 volt range.
I marked the 2 with green masking tape and a sharpee. Chassis appears the same as a 37-116 except for the VERY tall 25 cycle transformer. I did remove both caps and the only thing on the other side is the part # 04357 on a sticker.

Attached Files Image(s)

There would have been a 25 cycle version of the 37-116 sets, I'm not sure if they still added the suffix "A" after the model number. Point in fact there were 60 and 25 cycle versions produced in Canada and in the U.S, if you look at most period advertising for the Canadian market they offered 25 cycle versions of most makes and models at an extra cost, although Rogers built sets seem to have all been built with 25 cycle power supplies. The extra  capacitors, were added for extra filtering to contend with the coarser ripple, these days you could probably leave them out to no ill effect since there are no 25 cycle power systems anymore, yes I think using 630 volt film capacitors will work, if you want to bother with them. Most of the 25 cycle versions of other radios I've seen just enlarged the capacitance of the main filter caps, or added an extra one, they didn't normally shunt a lower value cap across a filter choke. 
Regards
Arran