Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 90 First Detector Transformer Info Please

I'm new to the Phorum and wonder if anyone can help me with information on rewinding the 1st Detector Transformer (i.e. Wire gauge and type, number of turns for primary and secondary, etc.).   Has anyone done this successfully, and are there any suggestions on how to best do it.  Thanks.   Brian

Welcome Brian to the Phorum as indicated you really need to give us a model number of your set.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

(01-06-2015, 08:59 PM)morzh Wrote:  What radio?

Sorry! A senior moment here... It's a Philco 90

the primary and secondary of the detector transformer have been stripped away. The only thing left is the bare coil form. I would like to try re-winding the primary and secondary, wonder if anyone has done this before, and would like to solicit suggestions.

(01-06-2015, 11:17 PM)jerryhawthorne Wrote:  Welcome Brian to the Phorum as indicated you really need to give us a model number of your set.
Jerry

Hi Jerry, and sorry for the brain...ummmm...lapse. The radio is a Philco 90 in fair shape, but the first detector transformer has had the primary and secondary removed. I think the previous owner may have messed with it before because there is fresh solder work at the terminals on the coil form.

You can find some of the info you need for winding the primary on the coil at  Chuck's Philco Repair Bench site.  Some one else will need to help on the secondary.

(01-07-2015, 12:01 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  You can find some of the info you need for winding the primary on the coil at  Chuck's Philco Repair Bench site.  Some one else will need to help on the secondary.

Thanks so much for the lead, Bob. Brian

Would any of the phorum members have the coil winding specifications (wire gauge, number of turns, etc.) for the primary and secondary of the 1st Detector Transformer in the Philco 90? Has anyone undertaken this effort? Thanks. Brian

One topic at a time on the same subject, please!

Read the Rules:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=4586

Brian (wa5tbd), I merged the second thread you started on the same subject into this one.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(01-08-2015, 09:13 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  One topic at a time on the same subject, please!

Read the Rules:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=4586

Brian (wa5tbd), I merged the second thread you started on the same subject into this one.

Thanks for combining the posts, Ron. As a new guy, it wasn't clear to me how to categorize posts which was brought to my attention by several others. I think I have a better working knowledge of the phorum now. Sorry to trouble you and the phorum. Brian

Unfortunately it doesn't seem anyone has the info you're looking for.  I found a video by Richard McWhorter that shows the coil.  From that and Chuck's info ... if the primary is 100 turns then the secondary looks to be approximately 250?? assuming its a single layer wrap.  I know there is a celluloid insulator between the two wrappings as well.  The direction of the wrap also makes a difference and I can't help there as I don't have a 90.  

You might try contacting Play Things from the Past.  He doesn't seem to have your coil listed but then I don't think he has everything listed.

(01-09-2015, 11:18 AM)klondike98 Wrote:  Unfortunately it doesn't seem anyone has the info you're looking for.  I found a video by Richard McWhorter that shows the coil.  From that and Chuck's info ... if the primary is 100 turns then the secondary looks to be approximately 250?? assuming its a single layer wrap.  I know there is a celluloid insulator between the two wrappings as well.  The direction of the wrap also makes a difference and I can't help there as I don't have a 90.  

You might try contacting Play Things from the Past.  He doesn't seem to have your coil listed but then I don't think he has everything listed.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to sniff out the video and pass along the information to me. Cheers. Brian