Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

brass strip for Philco 41-280

Does anyone know where I might find a brass strip that goes on the escutcheon. This is also on other models. I would buy a used one if anyone has one.
  • [/list:u]

David Regira

Hi Dave,
I don't have the original part, but while you are searching for the part, you can make one out of a strip of brass?
I think the original is slightly rolled to give a little roundness to the strip. A sheet strip would be flat, but would bend around the corners good.

The other way for a temporary strip would be a brass welding rod, flattened on one side. That would give the rounded appearance, but be flat hels against the escutcheon.

Hope you can find an original, but just throwing ideas out in case you can't right away.
Take care,
Gary.

Gary, thanks for the advice. I just totally restored this radio and the brass strip is the only thing that i need. The reason that I would like to find one is the strip has the controls lables on it. I just thought someone out there may have a Philco parts radio and would part this out. I called Radio Daze because I new they had bought out RockSea but they didn't have them so I'll just keep searching.
  • [/list:u]

David Regira

Check Radio Daze website under "Reproduction Items," the "Dial Scales - Plastic Laminated," and look under "Philco." Scroll down about halfway and you'll see a listing for "41 Brass-looking strips (plastic)." These are not metal, but presumably they appear to be brass. Made to be glued on the escutcheon. They have the labelings for the controls, BASS, VOL, BAND and TUNING on the strip. Priced at 14.95. I've not seen them myself (they don't provide a picture) but it might be something to consider. Radio Daze also has them in stock for 42 models as well. Stumbled upon them by accident.

Bill

Bill, Thanks for your help. I found a 41-280 console that was only good enough for parts. The cabinet was in pretty bad shape so I salvaged what I could and the one thing it had was the metal strip I was looking for. I guess it pays to be patient. Thanks again, David

David Regira