Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Tropic Collection

John (Eliot Ness) had asked in the thread regarding the electronic restoration of a 42-788 chassis...

(01-01-2015, 06:09 PM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  ...I didn't realize that you had a whole Tropic room at your house Icon_wink

Well...here it is!

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...ropics.jpg]

This shelving unit is in my home office, and currently includes the following Philcos:

Top row, left to right: 42-720T; Canadian 35AT (41-712T, painted ivory which was not done originally); 46-806; English Philco (not a Tropic) 261, 1933, chassis similar to a USA model 60

Second row: 41-745T; 42-730T; English Tropic (postwar) A.3641, originally exported from the UK to Mexico

Third row: 42-761T, 39-770T, 53-960 (technically not a Tropic but made like a Tropic)

Bottom row: 42-788T, Canadian 39AT (41-722T), 41-788T

I also have a few more, smaller, USA and UK-made postwar Tropics in the basement.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Very nice collection. You have a real display of radio history there.

Very nice Ron 
I like the english philco

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Very impressive, thanks for sharing!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

You probably have to maintain at least 85F in there...

OMG, Ron. I didn't realize you'd cornered the market on Tropics!?!
Nice. Very Nice. I'm Gaberflasted . . .

Not to mention the "Non-Tropic" Philco's stashed away back there in your Nooks and Crannies in the back woods. You've earned your title, far and away.

May I humbly offer my services to proofread the galleys for your 3rd. Revised Edition?
:-)
Chuck

Wow Ron..nice group there..what a great "niche" collection. We usually never see more than one Tropic model at a time. Question..that British bakelite job..is that pretty close to the tropic made in 42 look wise?
Ive been searching for that particular model thinking someone may not recognize it as a Tropic and it may get sold fairly inexpensively.
Model 42-706C is the one I mean

Jim - which bakelite set are you referring to?

If you mean the 46-806, third from the left, top row in the photo above - it is USA-made. It looks just like a PT-2/42-PT2/46-250 except for the three-band dial scale...and the band switch in back. The big wooden set to the right of it is a UK Philco (chassis made in Philadelphia...cabinet in England...originally sold in England).

And the 46-806 Tropic is identical to a 42-706C Tropic.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Third one in from right ...top row. OK..I misread and thought you meant the little bakelite job was British.
I get it now.

ron
if this is just one shelf whats the rest of the room look like
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Icon_thumbup

Beautiful collection!

Beautiful radios Ron!

What characterizes a "Philco Tropic" exactly? Is it the style of the tuning dial with the multiple rows of bands?

Mark K8KZ

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup
wonderful collection!!

I repeat...What exactly is a "Philco Tropic"?

Mark K8Kz