Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38 116 tuner rebuild

I took the dial mechanism apart to clean and lube it as part of a detail of the chassis so I can put the whole thing back together (It plays well now).

As I carefully took it apart, the brass sliver on the right which fits into the slot you see on the top of the shaft came out.  It doesnt look broken and it seems to just rest in the keyway on top of another brass sliver that is actually part of the soldered connection shown at the rear of the shaft.  The long dark spot on the shaft is actualy the bottom brass sliver I mentioned that extends back and turns up to where the solder connection is.

What I dont know is were these two soldered together or glued together?  They seem to have been attached.  They are both black in spots like they are varnished or maybe it is glue residue. It is probably just old lube, but I thought I would ask before I scraped it off and put it back together if someone knows if it just sits there or is fixed to the bottom sliver.  Sorry to call it a sliver, but I dont have a better word.

Steve
[Image: http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a414...xyzri2.jpg]

No it wasn't soldered, it just goes into that groove.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Don't scrape the residue from the groove in the shaft. It is an insulating layer which isolates the brass sliver from the muting contact. The sliver is just a shim to take up play in the shaft bearing. If you scrape off the insulation you will ground out the muting contact and short out the audio.

Thanks guys. I will keep it that way.