Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cap Bundle?

I could've sworn that during my research I ran across a link to a site that sold typical capacitors one would need for old radio repair as a bundle for around $25. As a first-timer I was hoping to rely on the bundle for most of my caps so I didn't have to cut them all out just to see what I need for replacements. It will be much easier for me to swap them one at a time and then special order anything I don't have in the bundle. So does anyone recall a resource that bundles Philco caps? If it helps, I am restoring a 37-610 code 125. Thanks!

I think bundling as well as kits, unless mechanical ones, are for those who do not know exactly what they are doing, first timers, in short - scared people.

I think it is easier to find out what you need for a particular radio, and order it times 5 (unless expensive) from a source like Mouser.

Another benefit - those bundles will likely contain cheap parts (caps), especially electrolytics, from questionable sources, and even if not, then possibly inadequately ripple-rated etc.

I buy through Mouser.

(02-13-2015, 12:18 PM)morzh Wrote:  I think bundling as well as kits, unless mechanical ones, are for those who do not know exactly what they are doing, first timers, in short - scared people.

Right. That describes me perfectly. I have just enough electronics knowledge to do the job, but not enough to feel confident about it. This is my first-ever restoration and I am learning as I go.

Jim,
I believe you might have seen the Just Radios site:
http://www.justradios.com/capacitors.html
I think that you can contact them and they will make up a kit for the radio that you are working on.

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

I agree with Mike about buying from mouser. They have all the specs for each cap listed so you can select a better grade for a few pennies more. Just looking at the specs will  be a good learning experience.    http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013209.pdf 

Thanks for the link to that schematic, although I did find that one. Last night I paid A.G. Tannenbaum for the correct schematic for my code 125 -- I understand there were some minor differences in the RF section.