Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 112 Highboy

I am looking at a Philco 112 Highboy. It's unrestored. The veneer is in good shape with a few scratches. It is one of the cabinets that Bel Geddes designed. Still has the label on the back of the cabinet. The owner is asking $195 which to me is high. What do you believe would be a fair price? I am out in the Portland OR area. Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=6087

One of the buys, $99, in 2013.

I say not above 130.

I bought a 111 a year and a half ago which shares the same chassis but is a highboy. $75.

(02-14-2015, 09:32 PM)Umorzh Wrote:  http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=6087

One of the buys, $99, in 2013.

I say not above 130.

I bought a 111 a year and a half ago which shares the same chassis but is a highboy. $75.

Thank you I appreciate the link and the feedback.

Roy, too bad your not closer to AZ. I have a 112 restored I will be listing when I get back there. They are nice radios but I really don't want to worry about shipping them!
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I would say that $195 is way too much money for the majority of unrestored early 30's consoles. I say this because of where the market has gone not because I don't like them. Where I am, in which they are not nearly as common as the U.S midwest, anything over about $125 makes them a hard sell, and that's in good original condition. Almost all have just the single AM broadcast band, which ends at just over 1500 KC, it wasn't until 1932-33 that sets with a "police band" and shortwave became common. The other reason is because of the styling, even with the Norman Bel Geddes cabinets they are viewed as being old fashioned, and the dials and control panels are all sort of similar. It's a shame in one way in that they are not as appreciated, but then again that also makes them more affordable to those of us that like them.
Regards
Arran

Difference is a questionable dinner for two and a few gallons of gas, so if you want a project take it.

Unless stated otherwise, I found that all craigslist listings are negotiable.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.