Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transformer 32-8055M

I picked up a 40-160 and the transformer sizzles, yes a slab of bacon so I'm looking for a replacement like Hammond or something but am unsure as what to exactly get to replace this one and I've researched to the best of my ability and am not coming up with anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the specs of the original 32-8055.

310 VCT @ 52 mA
6.3V @ 2A

It looks like the Hammond 269BX is the closest match - 300 VCT @ 86 mA; 6.3V @ 2A.

Keep in mind the Hammond will run warm to hot. I ran my Tropic 42-720 one day recently for four hours. It has a replacement Hammond transformer that is rated at double the needed current. It was quite hot after four hours.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Agree, and try to find out what made the original one fry before going further. If the original windings are good and it does not heat up with primary connected and no load applied, well............

Yes. Always a good idea to see if the transformer is hot with no load.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(02-17-2015, 10:07 AM)morzh Wrote:  Yes. Always a good idea to see if the transformer is hot with no load.

Oh yeah, after a min it will burn your hand.

All loads disconnected, filaments too? There should be absolutely nothing loading it, not one pilot lamp or one tube remaining.

AND. The outputs checked for shorts. Unless you chose to clip off the wires.

If this is the case and it still runs hot, yes, you have a turn short, and the poor tranny has to be tossed or rewound.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ok, so I did it under no load and it stayed cool and no sound. I put just the 84 tube in and it starts sounded like bacon and getting hot. I know basic stuff so where do I go from here. Thinking change out the wax caps for good measure.

Well, this is what we meant - NO LOAD WHATSOEVER. No load means no load, period. The rectifier tube really loads the filament with 0.5A PLUS if it is in, it then connects the transformer to your other things, like caps, and if they are shorted, you power supply suffers.

So, let me guess....you are trying to power it without recapping and removing all tubes first.
Not EVER a good idea.

You transformer is likely fine. If you did not damage it in the process.

Yes, you especially need to replace the electrolytic capacitors, they are #47 on the schematic, as well as all of the wax caps. 

There is a chance that your transformer was OK, but a shorted component, which is most likely an electrolytic capacitor, is causing the short and overheating/sizzling.  Unfortunately, even if the transformer was OK, if you let it sizzle long enough odds are it might now be bad.

So, like Mike said remove all loads and measure voltages. Then do not power it up again until all caps have been replaced and the tubes checked (especially the 84 for shorts).  Maybe you'll get lucky and not have to buy a transformer.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"