Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cracked Bakelite on 46-420 Hippo: Should I paint it Ivory or just glue it?

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I have another question about cleaning Bakelite. I've seen people soak these cases in mild detergent (one on YouTube pulled out the antenna coil, and soaked it labels and all), but I want to protect all labels and stickers found in and on the cabinet, and try to keep the antenna in it's original position and state. (Maybe I've been watching too much Graveyard Carz.)

Is there a safe way to unstick and remove the labels (the tube diagram on Philcos is distinctively nicer than I've seen on other brands) to save them and re-glue them to the cabinet when done? Or, do most people clean and paint around the existing stickers?

Do you remove and then re-glue the antenna coil?

And, finally, something I think I've got a handle on unless someone has a better idea: The back is actually delaminating, and I see a wood like center piece sandwiched between two thinner pressboard pieces. I'm thinking of using Elmer's white glue to relaminate these pieces, and clamping it flat between two boards.

Thanks for your advice.

As thanks, I'm going to upload a scan of the Owner's Manual I obtained (very fragile) with my broken Hippo.

Dan
(I would have phixed my phine Philco by now, but I'm too phat and lazy.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cracked Bakelite on 46-420 Hippo: Should I paint it Ivory or just glue it? - by ntsc525 - 02-26-2015, 11:47 PM