Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cracked Bakelite on 46-420 Hippo: Should I paint it Ivory or just glue it?

For removing the paper labels, or at least attempting removal, acetone and a razor blade, but scan the bottom one first if it is in exceptional shape, that is if you intend to glue and paint the cabinet. If it's just a matter of washing the soap and water won't do much to the labels, just so long as you don't scrub them if they get wet. On a cracked cabinet it's really best if you can strip everything off before attempting to clean it up and glue the cracks, although if the dial is messed up I would not bother even trying to repair the cabinet, 46-420s are a unique design but Philco built a lot of them, and their successors, from 1946-49. If this cabinet is cracked from back to front glue, bondo, and paint is really the only way to make the set decent again, I usually use two part epoxy, the 24 hour kind, for repairs since it's the strongest and really does not need re-enforcement in most cases.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cracked Bakelite on 46-420 Hippo: Should I paint it Ivory or just glue it? - by Arran - 02-27-2015, 12:21 AM