Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cracked Bakelite on 46-420 Hippo: Should I paint it Ivory or just glue it?

I've decided to first try to save the original brown color if at all possible, so I've superglued the cracks, put epoxy on the inside of the cracks to add strength, and filled the cracks a little with some Testors paint. (I've heard it called "drop filling" to fill pits and dings with paint.) It looks like the color they call "rubber" (flat, not glossy) is a pretty close match, but I won't know until I get it sanded down and smooth. That way, I can keep the original label intact on the bottom, and most of the radio will still have that cool Bakelite marbeling once I polish the outside to match the original shine seen on the inside. I also want to keep the original Philco decal, which would require keeping the original color.

I figure more original with some honest wear and scars is better than artificially new.

But, if it looks too horrible, well, I've already got the can of Glossy Ivory paint!

Progress is slow, because of my work schedule, but I'll update you when I get a chance.

Dan

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cracked Bakelite on 46-420 Hippo: Should I paint it Ivory or just glue it? - by ntsc525 - 03-16-2015, 06:40 PM