Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 620,,,#32-1647 if transformer

I have a little problem,,,thee IF transformer has crap-out,,,Philco part # 32-1647,,,is there a cross reference number,, for this item,, in a different make that will work,,thank you for all you time,,,Ken jr. Icon_crazy

Ken

It is always nice to list the radio you are working on and give the link to the sch if it is available.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

It is a Philco 620 early model,,and I Don't know how to put the link on here,, of the schematic,,,I 'm sorry for my dumbness on computers,,I don't even own a cell phone,,now that is old school as you can get it,,and barely get around on the computer ,,,thank you for your time and help,,Ken

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013804.pdf

Part #37.

Judging by it being in a round can, can be re-wound.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ken, you might also post on the want to buy section of this Phorum and see if someone might have a parts chassis with a working IF transformer. Lot of people on here with parts. Welcome.
Jerry

PS: Ken, don't worry, I have a cheap cell phone and can receive and place calls. My wife has a complicated one which I guess does more but I can't even figure out how to answer. Still learning about these new computers, I wish I could go back to DOS based ones with a couple floppy disks!

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Jerry

What you need is a smart cell phone with a floppy isk Icon_lol.
And magnetic core memory.

No Mike, life is just fine!  Hope your keeping warm.
Jerry

I may be wrong on the If transformer crapping out,,,the schematic says 20 ohms on both side of this transformer,now,,do the adjustment screws for alinement change the ohms "total "on these coils ??,,,IF transformer # 37 --my reading is 390 ohms on the 78 tube side ,,,with the tube out of the socket,,,,and 385 ohms on the 75 tube side ,,with the tube out of the socket,,,Now,,I have never went to school for any of this,,,and have learned a lot from playing with this,,,JUST a Pipefitter reading schematics,,,has that,,,,Now on the 1st Det. and IF transformer #32 ,,reads out at 11.2 ohms on the 6A7 tube side with tube out of socket ,,,and on the 78 tube side it reads out at 12.2 ohms,,with tube out of socket,,this all started with no plate voltage to the 75 tube,,I had recapped and new resister thru out,,,thank you ,,for putting up with me,,,Kenjr

Made mistake on ohms,,should read 12 ohms---on all of above,,,sorry

Ken, although your readings on ohms are high, they are not infinite (open). I wouldn't worry about those at this point. When you were referring to no voltage on the plate of the 75, were you referring to the detector plates or the triode plate? The detector plates should really show very low voltage. And no, adjusting the trimmers on the transformer will not change resistance on the coils. Don't even touch them at this time!
What is the radio doing at this time?
Best, Jerry

Agree. Now and then we see an open winding on an IF coil, bkut I've never heard of or seen 3 IF coils open in one set unless it was bulldozed. Anyway, windings are typically well under 50 ohms. And also agree, do not turn tuning slugs until you have everything else fixed and are properly performing an alignment.

Well, maybe it was bulldozed. Or a house pet, you know, that little grey furry really cute one, that likes cheese, had a tasting session with it.

Hear we go,,the volume is about 2 ,,on a scale 1 to 10,,,,yes ,I do have voltage ( -- .43 volts) to Number 2 pin (Pt),,,Pin #1 no voltage reading,,----pin #3 & #4 (PD 1 &2),, --5 volts,,-----pin #5 (K) no voltage reading---pin #6, ( H),, .01 volts ???? Now,,I can tell you this,, Part #55-- 70,000 ohms resister has 280 volts on it,,,then we have Part # 57 condenser .15 uf,,at that point we have a voltage of .005 volts,,next is part # 56 --99,000 ohms resister--no voltage reading,,,, So,,I though that the 110 mica (part #39A) was open because I couldn't get a reading on it,,,even after removed,,installed a new one ,,,same volume,,,I tried changing out #57 capacitor also,,,,I am lost,,,could it be that the tube could be shorted??? I didn't pull this tube while turn on with voltage,,while checking for voltage,,,,thank you for your help,,Ken