Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help for a Beginner?

I recently purchased my first antique radio and would like to get it working again. It is a Canadian made Philco 39-6520E - also says Code 121 and ChassisType 206. I has 4 tubes - a 1H5G, a 1A7EG, a 1N5EG and a 1A5EG. It was battery operated and has 3 battery connectors.

Is anyone familiar with this radio? Is it the same as another model? I can't find a schematic for it on line and the commercial source I contacted didn't have one either. How do people usually handle battery radios - is it usual to build a DC power source to replace the battery. I assume the batteries are no longer available?

The tubes you will be looking for will be marked 1A7GT, 1N5GT, and so on. Originally Originally, those tubes were supplied in tall glass sizes, but were quickly replaced with the standard "GT" size tubes. The "E" suffix was used on Philco's tubes in export or non-US manufacture sets, and has no significance today.

In fact, if you simply ask for the type, with no suffix, you'll get what you want.

Hi Chris

That "39-6520E" is probably prominently marked on the set's tube layout diagram or other paper inside the cabinet, right?

That is NOT the model number. Chuck discusses this to some extent on his site.
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip34.htm

Chassis Type 206 = Model 206. Could be very similar to, or very different from, a USA made Philco.

Yes, most collectors usually build a power supply to run their battery sets, since the batteries are now basically unobtainium. But we do have a Phorum member (batterymaker) who specializes in reproducing old-style batteries; you might want to send him a PM.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN