Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116 Input Transformer Info

If I am comprehending all of this correctly...when I started working on this chassis it would not play, this transformer was already replaced, and I found one of those resistors was missing. I beleive it was #110 or 115 on the schematic.  It's been at least three years since I've done the work so I cannot remember exactly. ..  I put a post on the for sale board asking for one of these. Hopefully someone has a junker willing to sell. If Mike has a solution great but I would need step by step guidence to fix. Sorry!!  I do appreciate all of you taking time to help.. Thank You all!!!

I found you the transformer, in your post in Want to buy I left you the links.

See if this is what you need. I tried a PM, but I cant tell if it is going trouugh so I am reposting here.

This is what I measured (all from chassis ground):
from the plate of the 6J5 driver it is 256 vdc
From the positive side of e-cap 70B it is 256 vdc.

Then I had my chassis upside down in a cradle with the transformer on the bottom. Looking at the 6 pins, there are three vertically on the left side and 3 vertically on the right side.
I get the following starting top left, then middle, then bottom left:
-21 vdc
-21 vdc
-21 vdc

On the right side, I get top, middle and bottom:
-21 vdc
256 vdc
256 vdc

My set read about 20-30 volts low on all the tubes, but it plays well.  I don't know old the same holds true here.

Here is a picture from the bottom as I described it above (the trans is between the bakelite bock and the 6J5 Driver tube socket:
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a414...uhj9nw.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks to Chuck at the Philco Repair Bench. With his help and a little after market vintage tech info  Heyboer will be able to re-produce this step down input transformer. It should turn out to be a real close or same  match of the original.   If anyone is in need I will have a part number/specs etc. ...soon.  

Thank you everyone!!!!

Bob

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup
I merged this with the original thread.

Just curious: Why is there seemingly such a high failure rate on the interstage transformers in these high end '38 sets? I just bought a 38-690 and the primary on my interstage is open; I have since heard of others with the exact same problem, and now with the 116 as well. I'm having mine rewound by Heyboer; they've done several (part 32-7876n).

Ted

Its not just the high end sets. Audio interstage and driver transformers are a common failure item in general. They are wound with many turns of fine wire and the wire has a tendency to corrode away, especially at the terminations to the leads or terminals. 

A lot has to do with the flux used in soldering the fine magnet wire to the terminations. If it is acidic and the radio is kept in a damp place, the resulting corrosion just eats the very thin wire away.

Sometimes there must be a very bad batch of flux. I have a model 20 chassis otherwise in very nice condition where every transformer and choke has at least one open winding, or has already been replaced. On the other hand, I have another identical chassis where every transformer is original and in perfect condition, so it must be something more than just random failure.

So was my 66 and most of 111. Corrosion. Green broken wire.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Oh well, it is what it is. It'll make it sound that much sweeter once I fire it up for the first time.