Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Interesting Packaging

This is Philco related- Promise! Just read through...

I was shopping in JC Penney's this evening with my steady-Donna- and I noticed one of those "Retro-repro" radios with am/fm/cd/turntable and who knows what else. I noticed behind the display of the radio, boxes of small tables for them. An interesting looking table, I contemplated the use of one, not for the retro-repro, but as a record holding base for my 1929 RCA Victrola portable. As I looked at the picture on the box, the design of the logo piece caught my eye. A round disk, with some dark gold trim, some divergent lines going vertically from left of center, and a "globe like gridlines, and info in a curved section in the middle. Taking a closer look, I realized I was looking at the dial of my 1937 Philco 37-650! A virtually identical photo, with the changes made for the new product! They had the same one on the retro-repro radio. I found this very interesting, and wish I had a picture to post of it.

I didn't buy the table- I figured I'd rather have an original...lol

Scott

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?

That's neat about the 1937 Philco dial...

Philco did make some tables to go with the Baby Grand (cathedral) sets, but they are fairly rare and hard to find.

I have one of them, the June 1931 version of the Baby Grand table:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/.../table.jpg]

These sold for only $1.55 in 1931, and only 6000 were made.

An earlier version, with turned legs, also exists. I saw one once at Radiofest in Elgin one year. I have a photo of it somewhere.

While it was made for a Model 70 or 90, mine is rather rickety and I don't trust it to hold one of those up anymore, so it sits with nothing heavier than a small table model set.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Do you think Norm Abrahm ("New Yankee Workshop") could crank out a couple of these? Icon_smile

Actually, if one was handy in the wood shop, it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to build a replica. All you'd need are some measurements and some time (yeah, right!), and you're set.

Unfortunately, I find myself with not much time for stuff I need to do, let alone would like to do. Bummer. Icon_sad

Anyone else with that problem? Icon_rolleyes

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

With as many shop tools as that New Yankee Workshop guy has, you would think he could reproduce ANY Philco cabinet or cabinet part if he wished to do so.

I know what you mean about a lack of time, Bill...I know what you mean...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wonder if he could make me a new front for a later model 20(with the "columns". Mine has the usual broken out sections missing form the grille work...

Scott

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?

Dick Oliver's your man if you need a new Model 20 front panel. His contact info may be found here.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Just for your amusement, here's a picture of the early style Baby Grand Table:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...table2.jpg]

There's a Model 70 on our favorite online auction site, second time it's been on. That table may - or may not - be a variant of the early style table.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6587401645

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN