Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What exactly are these?

The seller said these were a power supply and an emergency vehicle radio.

Not much online but the socket power was for powering radios?

They are pretty neat either way.

Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

One looks as a rechargeable lead acid battery...a very old type.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Some info on the "Socket Power"
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...t+power%22
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...96#pid7196

You can get schematic from Chuck.

The first is a Philco "Socket-Power" battery eliminator from around 1927. The jars are actually electrolytic (wet) rectifiers.

http://www.philcoradio.com/history/hist2.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The second idem is a 6v car radio.
Terry

The car radio is neat and I think I can remember digging up one similar to it at my grandparents place in the late 80's. He owned a 1937 Dodge sedan that had a Philco radio in it as an option and I dug up a rusty box that looked like that inside. (Well, counting all the dirt packed in it!) They had a small farm, hence there was the remains of a farm scrap pile.

No matter where you go, there you are.

All I need now is a Philco car!

The battery power supply will look nice on the shelf but I am not in love with the radio if it will not be useable.

Thanks for all the info.
Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I wonder if the electrolyte formula is known still, so the rectifier could be revived....

No wonder it is called "battery eliminator", looks like battery itself.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

For the car radio all you have to is change the power xformer the 110v pri. Did a few when I was in high school. Usually real good players.

Terry

Heck, my late friend used to run car radios he rebuilt for customers off of used, 6 volt Power Wheels batteries. I remember playing with a unit out of an old Buick he had worked on. Not a bad radio at all!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Be sure and check ground polarity many old systems  are positive ground. looks like some fun projects. David 

Looking at the tuning capacitor in that radio I'm wondering if it may be a Police version that tuned above the BCB?

(03-28-2015, 08:59 AM)morzh Wrote:  I wonder if the electrolyte formula is known still, so the rectifier could be revived....

No wonder it is called "battery eliminator", looks like battery itself.

I believe those electrolytic rectifiers used a boric acid solution(?) - nothing too exotic, if I remember from the 
info I have on it.  Would have to dig out the manual on that beast.

You'd most likely also have to put new electrodes in the jars as well, depending on the state they're in now.

Chuck

those jars are awesome. If they can be brought back to life, they are even more awesome. Good catch!

-Mars

(04-10-2015, 08:14 AM)Chuck Schwark Wrote:  I believe those electrolytic rectifiers used a boric acid solution(?) - nothing too exotic...

+1. I recall reading something about this about 100 years ago, back when I was just getting started in this hobby, in Jim Fred's Antique Radio Corner column in Elementary Electronics magazine. I do distinctly remember a boric acid solution being mentioned then; basically the same solution as used in the older Mershon, and later aluminum can, wet electrolytic capacitors. I have read the same thing elsewhere since then.

Now, regarding the car radio: If the model number ends with the letter P (I can't really tell in the photo, but it appears to), then it was made for police use. Which means Bill (exray) is right on the money. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN