Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need Advice Again: Philco 38-7 Console

Hello Mike, I can understand why sellers of vintage "lighted" radio signs would require local-pickup only! Those old vintage signs I have , the plastic is "brittle" at best, and it wouldnt take much for a UPS or FedEx delivery guy to totally-destroy them in transit!! The vintage "signage" of yester-year, is worth more to collectors than most vintage radios are on ebay! I would never consider trying to sell or ship my vintage radio-shop signs/clocks via ebay period. The buyer would most probably get a "destroyed-heartbreak", unless they were professionally "crated" before shipping.
Another thing that many old vintage radio/ or antiques collectors dont realize, is the "fine-print",.. of UPS/ Fedex rules regarding shipping of any & all "vintage-non-replacable" Antiques, and the "true-responsibility" of their Insurance Companies! The "max-amount" of their insurance-coverage is only $100. dollars, period, on vintage items shipped via their services!!! Unless, you pay for expensive "overnight air" or 2nd day Air shipment services! Basic "ground shipping services" arent fully insured for "actual value",.. even tho, their hired counter-persons charge additional .25 cents for everything of value over $100,.. their Insurance companies will NOT, apply the same rule to any "antiquities", shipped by them that get damaged!
I learned this the hard-way! Since I found out, I have my customers pick-up their vintage radios I repair for them in person only!! I do purchase items via ebay, but mostly the "in-destructable" type items only. Icon_wink

Thanks, Randal,

I see there's still a lot I didn't know. And I hear you about not wanting to ship or receive anything that isn't indestructable. I'd be sweating it out either way. Icon_rolleyes

Mike