Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-1012 Power up

Skip,

Your packet mailed out on 4-6, so you should get it by Friday latest.

Good luck with your restoration.

Chuck  Icon_thumbup 

Well, there you go.
In a way, yes, depends on your luck how much stuff you will have to do (and how much to spend) but if you are methodical, it always works out. You can trace it, so ... trace it, measure it....bypass the buttons if you need to....start moving from the end (acoustic amp) bacwards. See where it suffers.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yup, Thanks all. I guess I just wanted a short cut..

Anyway will let everyone know how it goes..

Thanks again for all the help..

Skip...

ALL ...UPDATE: I just swapped the XXl tube and the 7A4 tube and now radio works. The tubes are supposed to be the same? I get signals on all bands. Weak but I do have them. used sig gen to test the FM band. The calibration on dial is way off too. needs alignment. Next step.

Both tubes tested good on my tube tester.

Only reason I switched was the XXL tube is the RF amp. and the 7A4 tube is use mainly for the phone and driver to the 7c5 output tubes.

Skip...

Yes the  XXL and 7A4 are the same. I would see if I could scare up a couple more tubes. Just because it tests good doesn't mean that it will work at high frequencies. Give the sockets a shot of Deoxit.
Terry

Does anyone know the best place to order tubes or where you ordered some. . I ordered my caps and 1 tube from tubesandmore. However the tube came bad. It was the XXFM/7X7 . showed shorted. They were nice and sent another tube but it also came bad. so looking for a better place.

Next I will attempt to do a alignment after I get better documentation on the way from Chuck Schwark.

I did notice that they want you to align in the cabinet. It that really necessary?

Skip...

Bob Dobush, Findatube.com.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

ALL, Quick question. Well maybe.. two things.. When trying to align the SW I cannot get the frequency to track.. Meaning when set to 15 MHZ as instructions say I cannot get a signal from gen there the lowest I can get on dial is approx 15.2 or so. Also say I set to 11.0 mhz and inject a sig about -50 DBM a I can hear sig at approx 10.1 MHZ ( 455KHZ X 2= .910)

Other question is when I use the preset AM buttons the sig when using them is much loader ( better) than when I go to the Dial..

Any Ideas?

Skip...

If all you can get from the gen is 15.2mHz set your radio dial at 15.2 and align there, it will be just the same.

PS. I do not care too much about SW being aligned very precisely. BC I usually do to the possible extent.

Ok, Not what I meant to say.. My sig gen will go to 1 GHz.. When I set sig gen to 15 MHz I RX the signal at 15.4 MHz on dial. Cannot get dial to read 15 mhz no matter what I do to the OSC.

Also why do the presets come in better than the dial..

Skip...

I would suspect the pushbuttons have an individual tuned circuit for each frequency selected. Since they only have to tune a small range the Q it higher than the main dial circuit. This will make it tune in a bit better and have a sharper peak when aligning it.
As for the SW issue if you have a cap meter you could check the micas to see if they are within spec.
Terry

Finding most of the mica Caps are way out of spec.. Can anyone tell me what voltage rating to use for the mica caps..

Thanks
Skip...

A typical mica sold today is 500V. At about 2 bucks a pop. Also 500V eliminates guesswork.