Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help with Cleaning Dials

My 38-5 dial plastic is pretty filthy, I assume that using some water on this to help clean off the dust and residue is safe? I'm not going to wipe off the dial markings or anything am I?

Second, the dial is discolored (darker) on part of the face, I assume this is from sun, heat, and so forth, is this reversible or is it just one of those things that happens with age and I should live with? Doesn't bother me but if there is a way to address it then I would (Short of a new dial)

John
KC0EYF

DO NOT USE WATER OR ANY CLEANER!!!

You really cannot clean them.
The inks on Philco dials is water soluable!!! You will have a FULLY cleaned dial if you do.

Great Advice Chuck. I made that mistake on my first restore. Fortunately "Radio Daze" had a replica. However I would have preferred the original....that went down my drain. Icon_cry

OK, Message recieved! Glad I asked the question.

I won't use anything to clean the dial. Thanks for the quick reply, I was getting antsy to do just that.

I knew I could count on you guys for help! Now, if I could just generate capacitors out of thin air.......and wave my hand and have them all soldered in.........*Poof*....Were you saying something??....

Thanks again.

John

PhilcoPhil Wrote:Great Advice Chuck. I made that mistake on my first restore. Fortunately "Radio Daze" had a replica. However I would have preferred the original....that went down my drain. Icon_cry

Buy one of Mark Oppat's dial scales. They replicate the original FAR more than any other. Or, several gents like Ron make their own.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php