Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Radio Speaker Model 531

Hello everyone. I have a working Philco Radio Speaker Model 531 in very good condition. I have read a lot of posts but still have not found the correct place to sell the radio and have no idea what would be a fair asking price. Please help. I do not want to try to sell it to high but I also do not want to get ripped off. I am sorry if I had posted this thread in the wrong spot. I do not know anything about antique radios. My father in law used to listen to this radio with his family when he was a little kid. His father bought the radio new and it has been in the attic for a long time. It has a few scratches and a little scuff mark on top. And from what I have researched, it does not have the back panel. It works great. I just plugged it in and listened to it for a little while. It is amazing that a radio so old still works. Even used the fine tuning knob to listen to a local broadcast. Any advice would be well appreciated. Thank you.

I would not know value but this is the right place to sell it. Are you saying you only have the speaker?

As most anyone would say, dont plug it in. The electronics are s old that they can fry your radio, light on fire, capacitors can explode, Transformer can be ruined, etc etc. It is great that it works but where are you located? that will help to let buyers near you have a chance at it.

Welcome!

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Welcome to the Phorum!! I moved your post to this section.  Folks can give you advice and when you decide on a price you can repost in the "For Sale or Trade" section.  Be sure to read the posting rules.

Here's some background info on 531.

I have the entire radio (except for the back cover). I did not know not to plug it in. It worked fine though. I listened to it for about a half hour while I was cleaning my storage room in the attic.

Welcome! 

Some pictures might help determine value.

Here's a thread about a 531 from a couple of years ago, but it doesn't look like anyone ventured a guess as to what the going value might be:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=5616

And as mentioned it is very difficult to suggest a price without looking at pictures.  A lot will also depend on location, since that is a radio that would be difficult to pack correctly and expensive to ship, so you might be wanting a buyer close enough to do a pick-up.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I am at work now but at lunch time I will post pics. Thank you very much klondike98, oldrestorer, Eliot Ness and anyone else who replies.

Oh, I am in Easton, Pa

Here's a link on how to add pictures.

Quote:Oh, I am in Easton, Pa

There is a very large Antique Radio Show in Kutztown, PA on May 8 & 9:

http://www.dvhrc.com/kutztown.html

You could possibly offer to deliver it there or someone who is going to the show may be willing to drive over and pick it up in Easton.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

As one reference point there is an antique dealer asking $225 for a 531 in Georgia (the link may disappear) that they say is fully functional.

I was just gonna say that about K-town. Thats the best chance to sell it. Ask a few hundred? And take offers.

Ron may know the current worth but dont be surprised is it is low. I have some beautiful consoles that I could not get $100.00 for.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Test

[Image: http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag95...lgl0dj.jpg]

I will downsize the images. I did that one as a test. Signed up and used Photobucket. By the way, great instructions on pic posting. I will read the rules on posting in selling. I want to thank everyone for their replies. Learned a lot about this radio and enjoyed every minute.

Hi and Welcome
Glad you enjoyed your interaction here. I don't believe your set had a back cover. All those hot tubes need air.
http://philcoradio.com/gallery/1929a.htm
Terry
See ya in Ktown. I'm near Willow Grove,Pa

Looks like it is in fantastic condition but personally I would not pay more than $100.00 for it.
The legged radios have little appeal to me but others love them.

Like I said, ask a few hundred and take offers.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021