Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need Help With 46-200

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and am restoring my first tube radio, a Philco Transitone 46-200. I have replaced all the capacitors with new equivalents and replaced the bad tubes. The radio lights up, but only picks up one station at a very very low volume. If I giggle the original antena the station fades out completely. I tried attaching a modern antenna and as well as cleaning and re soldering the leads to the original and only got nothing. Any advice or theories to correct this problem would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Anthony Knoll

Anthony Knoll Wrote:Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and am restoring my first tube radio, a Philco Transitone 46-200. I have replaced all the capacitors with new equivalents and replaced the bad tubes. The radio lights up, but only picks up one station at a very very low volume. If I giggle the original antena the station fades out completely. I tried attaching a modern antenna and as well as cleaning and re soldering the leads to the original and only got nothing. Any advice or theories to correct this problem would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Anthony Knoll

I have no experience with this model radio, but by looking at the schematic the original antenna should have 3.2 ohms resistance. Does it? Also the external antenna connection is shown as grounded when using the built in antenna, is it? If this all checks out maybe the alignment is way off. Have you aligned the radio?

Bill

It's not what you don't know that hurts you it's what you know that's not so.

Verify your local oscillator is running too. Pin 4 of your 7A8 tube should be several volts negative if it is working, if not read zero.

Recommended you make basic voltage checks such as the B+ supply and the various tubes pins to be sure they are close.

Richard

Hi Anthony,
How did you know the tubes were bad? If you have a good tube tester that is good, however many tubes that show questionable will still work fine.

Make sure you have not made a mistake in wiring, (or tube placement) trace the diagram with a yellow highlighter, as compared to the chassis. That should be a pretty simple set to troubleshoot.

Did the set work at all before?
Is the audio section working? Touch the center terminal of the volume control and see if you get a loud buzz. (Make sure you are insulated from the floor, and you keep one hand in your pocket Icon_smile )

Will be back...