Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-22CL

Thanks, guys! Icon_biggrin

Well, Debbie and I were discussing this radio last night, and she said "If you really like it, then you should keep it."

So it won't make it to Kutztown...it's staying here. Icon_thumbup

Now that I've decided to keep it, I may attach the original clock hands. Or, just the hour and minute hands. The hole in the hour hand is slightly larger than the hour shaft on the new mechanism, but could be tightened up if done carefully (I've done this before on a GE kitchen clock conversion to battery). Now, the hole in the minute hand is smaller than the minute shaft on the new motor, but can be easily drilled out.

I think I will keep the new second hand as I prefer the contrasting black second hand. The original hands were all red, including the second hand, and the original second hand is very similar to the new second hand.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Come on Ron since when do we listen to the wife's
Sell it 

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(05-01-2015, 07:32 PM)sam Wrote:  Come on Ron since when do we listen to the wife'

We don't listen. We just do what they want. Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Icon_lol Isn't that the truth!

But hey...think about it...most women want their husbands to "get rid of all that junk" (radios)...so any wife who encourages her husband to collect and keep radios is a gem, I think. Heart

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hey Ron, i also have a Philco 42-22CL i would like to up grade the clock face if you have one or run across one in decent shape please contact me.-Ron Jacquard

Ron (Jacquard)

Sorry, I do not have a spare...the clock face on mine is not perfect, but it is decent; i.e. "good enough".

Post a "Wanted" ad here on the Phorum, watch eBay, contact folks like my friend Wilbur Gilroy (his contact info is here, just scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page). A 41-22CL has the same clock face. Good luck.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thx Ron. By the way just ordered your book looking forward to reading it. Just found out my girl friends grand parents both worked at Philco in the forty's after talking about my old Philco's. He was an engineer(Frances Xavier Quinn) .-Ron

A friend of mine found mine at an auction a few years ago.  All original I found out.  The switch for SW was broken but not much on that band (1.5 mhw-3.3mhz)anyway.  Otherwise, BC band and clock work very well.  

Attached Files Image(s)

I found this site which might be useful to those restoring old radios that have a synchronous clock movement. This is a link to their page with clock motors. If you click on the linked part of each type you can get the details of the various specs in shaft length, etc.  Hansen Clock Movements

But will they sell small quantities to individuals?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I'm not sure, Ron, but, from the look of their "sales locations" link, http://www.hansen-motor.com/sales.php?mm...={keyword}   , I think they might be helpful. Worth an email to see, although, since I am not repairing a clock radio, I'll leave it to someone who is.

ron
you don`t want to do all that Icon_thumbdown
just sell me yours Icon_thumbup

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2