Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume

I got this SX-62 up and running today. Replaced the filter cap, some resistors. New power cord. The tubes tested good - just barely. I installed a fuse block, but decided not to hook it up and just have it wired as original. It pulls .6 amps at 112 volts with no transformer heating after 30 minutes. 

This works well, but the volume seems low. I’m currently attributing this to worn out 6v6 tubes. 
I’ve sourced an original audio transformer if needed. 
I expect also have more bad resistors to find, but at least I’ve established basic functionality and not wasting time on something with a blown transformer

Attached Files Image(s)

Checked with the place were I buy tubes they have them in stock. This is local for me being in the same state have done business with them for many years.   https://vacuumtubesinc.com/index.php/6v6gt-6v6gta.html

Thanks. I use this guy who operates under electric guru parts house. Been buying tubes from him for years with never a problem.

At this point I’ve sourced all the missing parts - knobs, pointer adjust, the shield cover as well as a replacement stock audio transformer.

I’m planning to swap out the tubes and see what difference it makes. I’m also going to continue and replace resistors as needed

Today the volume was gone. Had done nothing but replace resistor on sensitivity control.?

I think this salvaged audio transformer the previous owner had just died.
I’ve sourced the correct audio transformer which I’m installing. Of course the colors have faded in the wiring so I’m having to make best guess as to what was originally red.

So does this happen to other people? You repair the radio correctly - undoing the bad repairs - and parts simply die like they don’t want to work anymore?

This radio does work, had low volume - replacing audio transformer and all tubes - hoping it brings it back to full volume.

Rule of thumb when I fix a radio it is not fixed until it runs for 8 to 10 hours with no new problems. David