Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average

The list of my radio & TV collection!

Ron

This radio was in MA, I am in NJ, so the travel was roughly over 4 hrs one way....or 5hrs.....forgot.
I packed it orifessionally in UPS store, which it itself added some pretty penny to the shipping expenses.
The chassis was packed separately and situated on top of the cabinet.
The limit at the time was 108 lbs or so, and this is what this all came to, including the shipping boxes, fillings, tape and all. It was prepared to withstand the worst abuse a shipping company could provide, but, surprisingly, it was handled very well and, according to Peter, came without a slightest damage.

However, I'd prefer to not ship this kinds of radio anymore: just protecting teh chassis took some work. I had to but a piece of thick plywood, oversized such that the shafts of all the regulators would no go outside the pereimeter, and then bolt it to that plywood, which then was packed (plywood added at leat 20 lbs).

The Philco 37-620 you see there was much easier to deal with - it is lightweight, and I think did not require any disassembly. Also came fine.
Now, 37-690, if it ever comes to this (I doubt it...) would be a double b...ch to deal with. Two chassis' ..... much heavier cabinet....I doubt it would make the weight cut-off with the shipping company, or it would be 3 separate packages. And then it would certainly be expensive as h**l, especially considering the prices went up world-wide due to fuel, insurance and other things having increased.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
I'm still on the floor laughing! - by terrylett - 01-19-2019, 11:58 AM
462ron - by 462ron - 02-16-2022, 09:22 AM
462ron - by 462ron - 03-05-2023, 08:53 AM
462ron - by 462ron - 03-05-2023, 10:15 AM
RE: The list of my radio & TV collection! - by morzh - 03-05-2023, 12:58 PM
462ron - by 462ron - 03-06-2023, 08:41 AM