Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Did it again...It's Ron's fault>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>he asked what I was waiting for Icon_lol Never say that to someone with little brains and an itchy BIN finger! Another to bring back to life.
http://cgi.ebay.com/280247057854

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

I think you have to many of those for your own good. Icon_lol Better send it up here before the wife finds out about it.

Ed

Well, you're right in one way. I have too many that do not work! I need to get cracking Icon_lol

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones

With your 'flip and ship' method, you will have it re-capped in an hour and playing beautifully.

Ed

Well, possibly. But I need to get my engine revved first Icon_wink Lately, it's been suffering blow-by Icon_rolleyes

-Brian

Congrats BDM!! Very nice vintage Philco indeed! I noticed the seller said he has lots of nice radios to sell on his auction description you posted here! Keep that senders address!! My sister lives in Sunlakes Az,( fancy gated type retirement housing community),.. and perhaps my Bro-in-Law could drop by and see his remaining collection!?? (hee hee),.. Jus kiddin!!, but all them folks being Sunlakes, Az residents, All them are just down the road abit from AES in Tempe indeed!! Seems they could "throw-in" a few new capacitors on the deal also if they knew AES was just down the road a few miles!??! Nice find indeed!! Enjoy restoring it!! You will have it playin like a new champ!! Sure will look nice in your collection too!! Ebay ROCKS sometimes!! Congrats again!! Get some solder-on-ya, and let us know how its sounds, electronically restored!! Lordy,Lordy,.... tone, tone, the Philco way!! Icon_wink

How many does that make for Brian, now?

Thanks Randal. But I admit, I have several other 116 chassis waiting for my touch(as weak as that is).

Mike, too many Icon_rolleyes

-Brian

Brian, I thought you had a lot of them. I'm getting comments from my family that I'm starting to get too many also. God, they're such partypoopers. I thought buying radios would keep me out of trouble. Now they're trying to make me feel like my 1st. bad experience with an ebay purchase should be a lesson to me about trying to buy too many radios. Maybe they're right but that's no reason to make somebody feel bad about it. I suppose it had to happen sooner or later but now I'm skittish about having anything even as relatively light as this 21 pound lost radio shipped. Icon_sad But keep goin' for these radios, Brian. I understand you "took a step down" lately with a 640 instead of a 650. My 610 looks quite a bit similar in the front.

Ahh take a chance. I've been doing this for some time now as have many others. I've had three bad shipping experiences in the last 10 years. 2 off Ebag, 1 on Ebag. For all I know, this latest acquisition could show up as fire wood. We shall see. I need to spend more time at the bench, and less time buying. I have three 116 sets, and only one works right now. All the cabinets including this one need to be refinished, etc. etc.

Concentrate on only a few sets. My thing the last few years has been high end sets only. In reality, I buy very little like some. Some guys just can't pass up a radio because it has tubes. Not me, that causes clutter, plus nothing gets done then(my situation lately). Also, a set needs to be a very good to excellent performer, or forget it! The 16 series Philco's are probably the most common as far as high end sets go in the market. Nothing really unusual about them. There are far more rare sets that perform just as nicely. Maybe even better? But I like the looks, and LOVE the performance. My collection has nothing unique or unusual, but that's not what I'm striving for. There is no right or wrong with anyones collection. Do you enjoy it? Good, you should. It's not about impressing the next collector as some take it to that level. I could care less what others think about what I collect or my level of knowledge in it. That includes friends & family. It's strictly for enjoyment, stress relief from the every day, and comradery amongst other collectors. That's how I feel about it Icon_wink

Also, I try and stick with table sets. It keeps the loss of room down, and keeps the wife from rolling her eyes. As far as my family goes, they get a kick out of it. My wife likes these sets, plus it keeps me at home in her eyes. Last, I use disposable income for this hobby. Meaning I DON'T tap into the family treasure. Plus the sale of sets, my little side jobs performing repairs, keeps them coming & going Icon_smile

-Brian

I think that's as good a summation as I'll ever hear about having a good attitude toward the hobby. Go for what YOU get out of it. After all, the only one that has to be impressed is you. Ditto for who gets the fun out of it. And also for how much is spent. Something costing $40 might be worth it to me, it doesn't have to seem worth it to anyone else. Let's enjoy and the dissenters can just recede and go about their own biz.

Okay, send me a restored 650 chassis so that I can put it in my nicely restored 650B cabinet. Icon_lol

You did well on that 116B. Told you so! Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That advice BDM is sound. I bought 3 table tops at a 'Car Boot Sale', (as we call them), yesterday, two Ultra and a Pye tabletop Bakelite and plastic, for £10. I must stop!

.ahhh,.... the Joy of restoring nice vintage tube type radios! Whew, Im getting behind on my ebay! You guys are finding all the goodies!! (hee hee) Thats OK too, cause I know you guys will save all that vintage tube type radio history indeed!! Enjoy your vintage radio hobby, nomatter what anyone else thinks!! Most wives spend more than we do buying "cosmetics" each month to endure our hobby? Oops, perhaps I shouldnt have said that!? Peace Ladies!! I also know some of you enjoy this hobby also!! Sometimes, purchasing "Bare Essentuals" means re-stocking the "capacitors" bins instead!! ??? Icon_wink

Still looking for that elusive 660 or 665. Also, would like to add a 655 to the bunch.

-Brian