Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

What's it worth?

The Philco 511 in the photo is for sale but I'm not sure what to offer for it. Any thoughts as to value? I know a lot depends on condition and how complete it is, but maybe a ballpark figure. All help is gratefully accepted.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-04-2015, 10:02 PM)doc612 Wrote:  The Philco 511 in the photo is for sale but I'm not sure what to offer for it. Any thoughts as to value? I know a lot depends on condition and how complete it is, but maybe a ballpark figure. All help is gratefully accepted.

A lot would depend on how good the cabinet paint is. Front looks good. Lid? Also, does it have a set of tubes in it? Are they globes? Philco globes?

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

In all honesty the two sets above the Philco look much more interesting, one is an RCA superhet and the other is some sort of early 1920s unit, possibly home made. But if it's the Philco you are interested in how do you know that it's a 511 and not the model 65 which is from 1929? Since it does not appear to have the matching speaker with it I would offer as little as possible, those Spanish brown model 65s and 511s seem to turn up quite regularly, another reason to have a look inside is that there is a metal cover over part of the chassis that often goes missing.
Regards
Arran

Philco did not start selling their own brand of tubes until June 1930, which is also when they began to use their own brand in their radios.

The 511 Series would have had RCA or Cunningham tubes originally.

Arran, you can tell it's a 511 by the spacing of the knobs. Knobs spaced far apart like that indicate a 511. If the two left and right knobs were closer together, it would be a 65, 76 or 95.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I should have clarified- these radios are in a collection (hoard might be a better word) that is two hours from my home. I am trying to determine whether it is a good investment in my time to travel that far for what may or may not be a great addition to my collection. I've only had radio fever for five months and they all appeal to me! I'm seeing sets I've never seen before whereas you guys not only have seen them all, you probably have owned most of them too LOL.

To be honest, I do not treat my collection as an investment. I have a few consoles, and those are not really great investments. I buy and restore radios I like. If at some point they really appreciate and become a family heirloom....great, I will not object. But to me the investment value as a criterion for a radio is not the most important one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(06-05-2015, 04:53 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Philco did not start selling their own brand of tubes until June 1930, which is also when they began to use their own brand in their radios.

The 511 Series would have had RCA or Cunningham tubes originally.

Arran, you can tell it's a 511 by the spacing of the knobs. Knobs spaced far apart like that indicate a 511. If the two left and right knobs were closer together, it would be a 65, 76 or 95.

I did not know that.

Globe tubes of any brand would still be worth more than the radio.

So, I need to pull the Philco tubes out of my 65 and replace with RCA.

Ron, what tubes would have been most likely been used in a 95?

(06-05-2015, 08:48 AM)morzh Wrote:  To be honest, I do not treat my collection as an investment. I have a few consoles, and those are not really great investments. I buy and restore radios I like. If at some point they really appreciate and become a family heirloom....great, I will not object. But to me the investment value as a criterion for a radio is not the most important one.

Oh no, I don't mean investment moneywise...heck, money is for spending. I just hate to waste time, you know? Drive two hours and find out it's for junk. Then two more hours being mad about the previous two wasted...

Well, from these pics one would hardly be able to figure out the condition of the radios. As for the value.....I myself would like at some point have a 511 with the proper speaker. Depends on you goals.
511 without a speaker in unknown condition......maybe 20 bucks.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(06-05-2015, 10:02 AM)Phlogiston Wrote:  Ron, what tubes would have been most likely been used in a 95?

95: RCA or Cunningham.

96 (June 1930): Philco brand.

Philco tubes were made by Sylvania and Hygrade. Hygrade and Sylvania merged in 1931. Interesting info here:

http://www.vintagesylvania.net/?page=history

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Very good. And to think I went to work for GTE all of those name changes/mergers ago.

The 511 is still tough to find, especially if the original paint is in decent condition. 

The set above it is an AR-812 Radiola, circa 1924. It was the first mass produced superhet. Not exactly rare, but uncommon enough and unique-looking enough to be popular. Check it to see if all six UV-199 tubes are there.

Not sure what is on top. I would call it "a drab black box with dials of some kind."

The utility of making the trip is purely a personal decision. One who collects catalins or ham gear would probably say no. Someone like me would probably go, not only to consider the sets in the photo, but also in hope that there might be more neat stuff there.  (FYI I already have 2-AR 812s here, but would still go.)  

I went. I checked. I bought! The Philco 511 is in great shape, paint is really good, all globe tubes are there. The Radiola Ar812 is beautiful, all six tubes are there and all six have little stickers on them that say RCA...the top box was a single tube homebrew of some kind (I just got home and haven't given it a good look yet). All together I bought 27 radios, 7 phonograph/turntables, an Arvin car radio, a police scanner and an 8 track tape player. Oh! and an antique battery charger and a book of 78 rpm records to play on the victrolas.

Well done!  Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

What other radios did you make off with? 

If you check the prices of UV-199 tubes it will make you glad that they are all there. FYI the filaments on the UV-199 are diagonal to each other, not next to each other like the UX-199, just in case you want to test or even rejeuvenate them. 

The Radiola is a big pita to service. Just about all of the electronics are potted inside the chassis. Used a heat gun to unpot the one I had. This one wasn't worth fixing had a number of open transformers and coils. I believe his potted chassis (RCA called it a Catacomb) is use on a few early RCA/Westinghouse/GE sets.

Terry