Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco BOL 41-608 Turntable--HELP

I'm reluctenly restoring a Philco BOL 41-608 for a customer. Having got the radio going, I am working on getting the turntable running. It looks like there is flex joint that's supposed to couple the motor to the platter. The flex joint is dried out and both halves have seperated and cracked. Have I read this right as far as how it works, AND, is there any way to fix or restore this flex joint?

Hi Brian,

I restored a 41-608 about a year ago. I don't recall a flex joint to couple the motor to the platter. IIRC, the motor spindle drives two idler wheels that in turn drive the platter. I can look at the service manual on it when I get home.

Sean
WØKPX

Thanks Sean, hope you can firgure it out. This one does have the record cutter head. What I have right now is 2 seperate pieces...one slips on to the motor shaft, the other slips on the platter shaft. Each piece has a metal center, with a keyway to slip on the respective shaft, and a circular rubber piece riveted each. It looks like the 2 rubber pieces were riveted together at one time. Again, this is what I found...Hopefully you can dig in and check the schematic. It is an early model, with Oct. '40 inspection date...Code 122.....hope this helps...Brian

Hi Brian,

Here are a couple photos I took when I restored the phono. Does this look like what you have?

Phono Top
Phono Bottom

Sean
WØKPX

In looking through the Philco service info there was a rim drive version of the phono (which is what I had) and a gear driven version. You probably have the gear driven version. Is what you are asking about part number 35-2220 shown on this page?

Sean
WØKPX

Good job Sean.....Yes, I have the gear driven version...part # 35-2220 is the one that I have to fix. I went around to some hardware stores today and located a couple of 'rubber' washers that sould be used if cut down. I would have to fasten them to the metal part by some means, they were originally riveted to the metal part, and to each other, to form the coupling. Would appreciate any ideas you may have to recreate this part........