Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70A

I'm looking at getting this Philco 70A.  The guy is asking $50 for it.  What do you think?

[Image: http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t458...dh38rx.jpg]

[Image: http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t458...zmxiyj.jpg]

Crist

Go for it.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Very good price.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I asked for the s/n and he sent me this: 446650  he wasn't sure if it was the s/n but said that it was stamped into the chassis.  Do you think that it is above 22,000 mark?

Here's a pic he sent me of the underside.  Can anybody tell me if it's the model above s/n 22,000?

Thanks.

Attached Files Image(s)

Crist

I can tell you that with those Sprague caps, rather than Mershon, it is a later production chassis. But that is all.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

(06-18-2015, 09:38 AM)Phlogiston Wrote:  I can tell you that with those Sprague caps, rather than Mershon, it is a later production chassis. But that is all.

Thanks.  I think I will get that Philco 70A.  I really do want the later version especially because it has AVC.  We'll see what it really is when I pick it up.

Crist

Crist, it is an early version. You can tell at a glance by looking at the back of the chassis. The early version has three trimmers on the back, the late version has four.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

If I were you, I would get over there and hand the guy a fifty dollar bill as quickly as possible. The speaker alone is worth twice that.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

By all means get over there and give the owner a $50.00 before he sobers up and realizes what he's done!  What intrigues me is the word "special" stamped onto the back of the chassis.  Can anyone elaborate on that?  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I defer to Ron's expertise in all things Philco, but if I had to venture a guess I would say it is because the chassis is for the dual speaker model. 

Anybody know what that bright silver pot looking thing is? I don't see it anywhere on the NA docs.

Crist

No model 70 ever had dual speakers. Philco only used dual speakers in some 1932 and a few very early 1933 models.

I agree with Steve and Gary - get over there and grab that radio!

Whatever that potentiometer is, it isn't original. But you can correct that later.

Finally...when you talk about serial number 22,000 I think you mean B22000? 446650 is below B22000. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(06-18-2015, 04:53 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  No model 70 ever had dual speakers. Philco only used dual speakers in some 1932 and a few very early 1933 models.

I agree with Steve and Gary - get over there and grab that radio!

Whatever that potentiometer is, it isn't original. But you can correct that later.

Finally...when you talk about serial number 22,000 I think you mean B22000? 446650 is below B22000. Icon_smile

We are finalizing the deal this evening! 

Ron, Thanks for your input.  I suspect the pot has something to do with the volume pot being bad and somebody kluged it in.

OK on the serial number stuff.  I don't get it, but it is below B22000.

Crist

Once Philco serial numbers reached 999999, instead of going to seven characters (1000000), instead they added an A at the beginning and retained six characters. So, the next number after 999999 was A00000.

Once they reached A99999, they went to B00000.

And so forth and so on.

Some time during the rubber-covered wiring era, Philco finally began to use seven characters in their serial numbers. This was probably around the time they stopped stamping them into the chassis and started putting them on metallic stickers instead, which were stuck to the chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

So, they used Hex numbering before it became popular with computer types Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.