Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

my "NEW" 37-630

Hello to the Phorum...Be patient ..this is my first post and even have pictures to add.
Been a shortwave listener all of my younger years , thus causing  me to get my ham ticket.
Been collecting a few old Halicrafters that need help
Been lurking here for some time enjoying the pictures and stories, thought I'd jump in with my new find.
Going to need advice when time for recapping and alignment happens...here's a few pictures of my 45 dollar estate sale find.
[Image: http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/...dxm68b.jpg]
[Image: http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/...ljybgq.jpg]
[Image: http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/...x44x7t.jpg]
[Image: http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/...4nks31.jpg]

Very nice!! Welcome to the Phorum!! Icon_wave Looks like its in great shape.
Lots of folks here to help answer questions. Looking forward to your posts.

Welcome. A very nice radio and a good price. You'll enjoy it!

Crist

What a beautiful radio! With it's frequency coverage of 530-1720 KC and from 2.3 - 22 MC in two shortwave bands, as well as a stage of TRF amplification before the mixer/oscillator, it will be a fun receiver for short wave listening. Before you do anything, it will need a re-cap, and I would replace all the resistors too while you are at it, except perhaps the large wirewound ones in the power supply. There are lots of folks here who are a great help. Be patient. You are lucky, the case seems in excellent condition. You will probably find that there are earlier repairs under the chassis, since this appears to have been a well maintained and looked after family radio. Best of luck on your new adventure, and welcome to the Phorum !

Yeah, that radio makes me jealous!

Crist

Clean and cheap, what else could one wish for.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I could wish for a pony, a garage, a cookie, a day without world hunger. Its not all about radios MIKE!

N-E way.....

Welcome to the Phorum!
That is a cute and good looking radio. I like the beer too but me-beer-radios no mix... Icon_eek

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

(06-24-2015, 09:52 PM)OldRestorer Wrote:  I could wish for a pony, a garage, a cookie, a day without world hunger....

....a lower pitch roof, soft bushes, save bonfires, yes, yes, we know, there are other things to wish for.....if one is a complete wuss Icon_lol

No. Cheap radios for me. 

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Icon_lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

welcome to phorum great looking radio too
mike I was gona say something but you said it

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Welcome
that is a great looking radio and what a price
George Kirk

Welcome. If this is your first wood tube radio, bet it won't be your last. Good luck.

Thanks for all the reply's guy's... I look forward to all the comments and abuse I keep seeing on the phorum.
Mike...this is my first wooden tube radio and won't be my last.
I hope to have the radio up side down and some fresh pictures to post this week end....a new job has take'n my time during the week.
I did see some resistors that looked really baked, and a BUNCH of caps ...sorry looking.
Will be putting a parts list together.....suggestions for the best dealer to place a cap and resister order?
And my last question for the day...How well does this radio do SW?
I had a Zenith as a kid and don't remember the model # but it was awesome at night in my bedroom...listened to the world.
Lee/NN7X

Everyone will have their favorite vendor but these are all reasonable.

Hi, Lee ! Judging by the schematic, as I said before, when properly aligned, the radio should have very good selectivity and sensitivity because of the TRF stage in all three bands. Should be a real pleasure to use with a longwire antenna and decent ground, good for DX in general, on the BC band as well as SW, AM only of course, no SSB or CW. (To be honest I only have ready access to the schematic for the 37-620 handy, but the 630 is much the same except for the shadowmeter circuitry.) Order the right schematic from Chuck Schwark, you will be glad you did. A good clear schematic is the first place to start. But I am verging on "electronic restoration," so I'll leave any more for when you start a thread on this there.