Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Radio Repairman in Columbia, SC

Does anyone know of a repairman I can take my Philco Model 48-1256 to in or near Columbia, South Carolina? Ron told me what is wrong with it but I am afraid if I try to do it myself I will break it so that it doesn't work at all! It has no sound coming out of the speaker and when I turn it on there is a humming noise.

thanks!

Hello, lwphinney. I'm from Charleston - I don't know of anyone in Columbia. Perhaps the folks at this website could give you a contact:
http://cc_awa.homestead.com/index.html

... it is never a good idea to apply modern day ac voltages to any vintage radio chassis without fully re-capping the chassis 1st, unless you can bring the set up "very slowly", using a Variac! The "hum" your hearing is defective filter-caps, and it would be highly- advisable to get your vintage radio chassis professionally-restored electronically, before applying anymore AC tests!! Check your local area for a good older fella,.. "ham radio operator" still using some vintage tube gear, you will most likely find a great tube-tech indeed!! Just a idea, for your "local-preferred" needs. Good luck restoring your vintage Radio, and Im just trying to help!! Icon_wink

I'm in Lexington, SC which about 20 miles west of Columbia. Work rotating shifts, therefore use email.

rghines1 at windstream dot net

Richard

Texasrocker Wrote:... it is never a good idea to apply modern day ac voltages to any vintage radio chassis without fully re-capping the chassis 1st...

I and several other people just saw this lesson graphiclly demonstrated at an estate sale which had a lot of fine old tube radios from the 30's and 40's when some large klutz, who is at EVERY estate sale I've been to, horning in and blocking anyone else from having a sporting chance at finding a bargain had plugged in a late 30s vinatge RCA console. I happened into the room a couple minutes later. By then the radio was smoking. The lady who ran the sale came in and wanted to know how this happened. As I yanked the plug, I told who had unauthorizedly plugged in the set. He caught some grief from all of us. The pwr. tranny was smoked. Icon_evil

Mike

Mikhail7 Wrote:
Texasrocker Wrote:... it is never a good idea to apply modern day ac voltages to any vintage radio chassis without fully re-capping the chassis 1st...

I and several other people just saw this lesson graphiclly demonstrated at an estate sale which had a lot of fine old tube radios from the 30's and 40's when some large klutz, who is at EVERY estate sale I've been to, horning in and blocking anyone else from having a sporting chance at finding a bargain had plugged in a late 30s vinatge RCA console. I happened into the room a couple minutes later. By then the radio was smoking. The lady who ran the sale came in and wanted to know how this happened. As I yanked the plug, I told who had unauthorizedly plugged in the set. He caught some grief from all of us. The pwr. tranny was smoked. Icon_evil

Mike

Moron! Of course he didn't buy it. They never do. I use a variac if I decide to bring one up at all. Check voltages without the rectifier tube installed. But, I haven't actually done that in years. If it needs recapping, then do it!

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Well, I wasn't in the market for the radio myself but I feel bad for anyone else who would've wanted it, as is, or I should say as was before dumbo horned in and just had to plug it in, also for the persons trying to sell the radio. I didn't hang around long enough to find out if it got rescued by someone who could fix it back up. Hope it did. I've suffered a financial downturn of late or I'd have a variac to use in determining the extent of needed repair to some of my radios. Maybe the job market will improve in the fall but to me no radio should be subject to such disregard, to me they are all treasures worthy of preservation even if I personally don't want a particular radio. I see some of the same people at these sales and everytime this hulking lout shows up, which is everytime, everyone says, "Oh, no, not HIM again!". One funny thing tho. He once paid $50 to get 1st. place in line and had to walk away empty-handed because he couldn't find anything he wanted.

Best Regards,

Mike