Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

650X cabinet touch up?

Could this cabinet be touched up? I'm not looking for perfection. In another thread Doug Houston stated my 650X cabinet could be touched up. If so could someone give me a list of materials needed and a general idea as to how to go about it.

[Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/w...ab_001.jpg]

[Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/w...ab_002.jpg]

[Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/w...ab_003.jpg]

Thanks

Bill

It's not what you don't know that hurts you it's what you know that's not so.

By no means am I an expert of any kind when it comes to refinishing cabinets, so let the big dogs settle any disputes.

But, I'll repeat some of what I have read/used. For the most part the finish used for repairs is toned laquer. I think that the Mohawk brand is one that many people here use. I'll let the experts weigh in on what shade to use for what. With the type of damage you have to the base of the cabinet it would seem to indicate to me that you would want to strip the finish from those parts and refinish them. This may hold true for the entire cabinet as well, depends on what the condition of the rest of it is. I own a 38-5 that has similar finish issues. Just haven't gotten to that project yet. Too much other stuff to get accomplished first.

For the veneer repair some of them use salvaged veneer from other cabinets or will buy some from a woodworking store to use for the repair. Many woodworking stores can give you a step by step on how to replace a broken/missing piece of veneer.

Bump

Bill

It's not what you don't know that hurts you it's what you know that's not so.

Phly Guy has already given some good pointers, to which I can add: Use Mohawk Extra Dark Walnut for the dark portions of the cabinet, Medium Walnut for the rest.

You can rub down the dark portions around the speaker grille, enough to remove the loose and flaking old veneer, without stripping it entirely - then spray on a few coats of Extra Dark Walnut. Selective refinishing, if you will. You will want to mask off the lighter parts of the cabinet, of course, before proceeding. You will find the low-tack masking tape to be your friend here - use old newspapers, and just enough masking tape to mask off the edges between dark and light portions of the cabinet - let the newspaper cover most of the lighter parts, rather than using rolls of masking tape over entire parts of the cabinet.

It's late and I'm tired...hopefully this makes some sense. Icon_smile

As for the missing veneer. That really dark inlay is very soft. You might be able to match it by cutting a piece of veneer to fit the hole where the missing portion is, darken it with several coats of Extra Dark Walnut toner, and then gluing the new, toned veneer into place.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Now see! There's something I wouldn't have thought about 'selective refinishing'. I just would have gone and made way too much extra work for me by stripping the cabinet and refinishing it in it's entirety. Learn things every day!

Anyway, good luck, and remember if you try the finish touch up and don't like the results, you can always redo it....

John