Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FINE TUNING ON 38-7

I have a Philco model 38-7 console.. Everything works fine except the fine tuning knob.     I made a tool to adjust the cones for setting up the stations, but the instructions that I found do not give any indication about how the fine tuning works..  If I turn the knob it just rotates and does nothing.  Any information would be a help.. I did not find anything at Chuck Schwarks site, the Philco repair bench......... (I could have missed it)..
   Thanks Dan

Living in Calgary Alberta

Press down on the larger knob (collar) so that it makes contact with the ring surrounding the dial glass, and then rotate the large knob while pressing down on it. It is spring loaded. This will give you your fine tuning.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

On my Cone-Centric Dial page, in the Tuning paragraph, I do mention 
how to adjust "Fine Tuning" by pushing the knob in to adjust.

Cone-Centric Page  http://www.philcorepairbench.com/conecentric/index.htm 

………… "Vernier" or fine tuning is accomplished by pressing in 
and revolving the large flat knob underneath the knurled tuning knob……..

Chuck Icon_smile

I think I found the problem...This radio does not have any glas, or a ring   for the glass.I believe that there is a ring holding the glass in  and that is what the fine tuning dial would rub up against.  I don't have a photo of the glass installed..
      My next project will be to get the right ring and the glass.
  thanks for the clarification   Dan

The service manual for the Cone-Centric dial mechanism is a pdf file 
downloadable at the bottom of that page on my site.  It may help you.

Also, put a want ad on the Phorum for the parts.
Some collector may have a "junker" dial assy. Ya never know . . .

Icon_smile
Chuck

Thanks Chuck,    I did have a look at that PDF file before..  I guess it is assumed that every one of these radio has the glass with the ring. I will put an add on the forum.   Do you know exactly what that part would be called ..