Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please ID this PHILCO chassis

This has been in shop for ever and I was wondering what it should go in.What cabinets will it fit in, what size speaker goes with it, 11 tooobber standard broadcast only I think. Me no nothing Icon_think  Its a biggen Icon_eek Look at the sizzzze of that thing, only a mother could love. Icon_crazy

Attached Files Image(s)

The is fairly rare. Most people that could afford a 17 would spend just a little bit more and buy the 16 with several short wave bands. The 17 was available in cathedral, a chair side and a couple of console versions.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

(07-22-2015, 10:40 PM)Steve Davis Wrote:  The is fairly rare. Most people that could afford a 17 would spend just a little bit more and buy the 16 with several short wave bands. The 17 was available in cathedral, a chair side and a couple of console versions.

Steve
Thanks Steve,

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1933b.htm#fCabinet pics in Ron's gallery.

Thanks you guys, I will ask Dick want he wants for it, if transformer is good 50$, would that be an insult? He,s getting rid of a bunch of stuff and that chassis. I will need to find a 91 cathedral cabinet, speaker, I have the nobs and dial bezel.

A 91B cabinet is too small. The 17B cabinet is about one half inch wider than the 91B cabinet. The 17 chassis might actually slide into a 91 cabinet but it would block the ventilation holes in the end of the chassis. Also, the 17 cabinet has ventilation holes drilled in the bottom. The best option might be a reproduction cabinet. Icon_wink

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Steve- do you think you could make a late model 14 control panel for my early model 91 cabinet? I have a strong-playing late model 14 chassis I would like to install in it. 

I don't have a pattern but can probably figure something out.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

If the "late model" 14 in question is the type with the three lower knobs spread apart, then it would be the same as the 18B panel and very similar to the 17B panel.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, you continue to amaze me with the depth of knowledge you have about all things Philco!!!!

Icon_thumbup Icon_wave Icon_biggrin Icon_thumbup

. Yes, it's the late model 14 with the 42 tubes. I would like to have a 14 and a 17 cathedral added to the collection before I either petrify or turn into motor oil. 

This is still the best site out there!  Icon_clap

Fred, the speaker you for the 17B is a K-17

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Tom, you're very kind, thank you. Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(07-23-2015, 07:56 AM)Steve Davis Wrote:  A 91B cabinet is too small. The 17B cabinet is about one half inch wider than the 91B cabinet. The 17 chassis might actually slide into a 91 cabinet but it would block the ventilation holes in the end of the chassis. Also, the 17 cabinet has ventilation holes drilled in the bottom. The best option might be a reproduction cabinet. Icon_wink

Steve

Thanks Steve for info, can you make one for me? what,s the damage$ on a new one from you unfinished?

(07-23-2015, 07:33 AM)Frederick w. Taylor Wrote:  Thanks you guys, I will ask Dick want he wants for it, if transformer is good 50$, would that be an insult? He,s getting rid of a bunch of stuff and that chassis. I will need to find a 91 cathedral cabinet, speaker, I have the nobs and dial bezel.
Fred
 If anything $50 is too much for it, it may be in the ballpark if the matching speaker is with it and in good shape. Model 17s may be fairly rare but then again how much demand is there for a chassis from one? If you go to the swap meets there are always hoards of empty cabinets and hoards of orphaned chassis about, basically from people like your friend. This is part of what pisses me off with these donkeys who gut complete radios to turn them into guitar amps, computer cabinets, and other harebrained projects.
Regards
Arran

...I have two or three orphan 17 console chassis...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN