Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

model 42-395 humming

I recently picked up a Philco 42-395. I turned it on and waited for it to warm up and it began humming. 5 or so seconds later the stations began working. The humming is the reason for this thread and I tried searching the others but could not find anything similar. You all know more about these radios than anyone else I could find and I'm sure it is a simple fix. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance

Doug

The electrolytic capacitors are failing.

Do not, repeat, DO NOT operate the set again until they are replaced!

Failure to heed this warning WILL result in a burned out power transformer if you continue to operate the radio in this condition.

The paper capacitors must be replaced also, if you plan to operate the radio. Icon_smile And beware that rubber-covered wiring too!

Philco made some really decent radios between 1939 and 1942...but the crumbling rubber insulation on the wires makes them especially difficult to service.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron for the information, I knew you'd have the answer. Any good sites where I can download a schematic to show me everything you described? Don't suppose these are items I can pick up at Radio Shack, or can I?

Doug

Hi

For a quick freebie, look here:

Nostalgia Air

But for good, clear, comprehensive service information, I recommend Chuck Schwark's Philco schematic service. More info here:

PHILCO SCHEMATIC INFORMATION

Well worth the modest cost.

Edit: No, you won't find the electrolytic and paper capacitors you need at Radio Shack. You can look here for a listing of Philco resources on my site.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yes, Chuck Schwark's schematics are the BEST! Well worth the aforementioned modest cost. You'll be well pleased! Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin

Mike

"Did you say 'two utes'?'