Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-280? Is it worth it?

I will read up on curving veneer, then. I do have an ambition to make this one a learning piece since it's low stakes .

Charlie in San Antonio

Curving wood usually entails soaking the wood and bending it into position, then letting it dry in that position.

The veneer is very thin. It will bend around very easily. In fact it was shipped rolled up. The side of that cabinet seems flat top to bottom, and curved front to back (if that makes sense to you) should be a piece of cake as long as you can cut it to an exact fit. I have a Rockwell Sonicrafter tool and the scissors attachment, I think it's called a Sonishear, does an excellent job of cutting veneer cleanly and easily.

Charlie
please start a thread on cabinet and thread on electronics

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Well, I wish I had a friend who knew how to do this correctly, but I'm getting ready for the last stages of the 41-280 cabinet. The first major veneer replacement I've done. I had to replace a strip on each side and put in a patch or two trying to match the grain on the patches. It's by no means perfect, and I've got it a bit too dark overall I think, but the veneer doesn't look like a complete hack job, either. I guess I'll look at it a day or two, and decide whether to strip it and start over on grain filling and staining. Or just finish it, and move on the other radios.

Oh yeah, I repainted the worn out parts of the Photofinish. It turned out OK.

Charlie in San Antonio