Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertone radio/phono/wire recorder

This is my latest project that's a little different. Has a radio, 78 rpm phonograph, and wire recorder in one package. Came out about as well as I could have hope for. The phono cartridge and microphone will need rebuilding but other than that the radio and wire recorder work well.

Richard

[Image: http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/...ge0014.jpg]

Very nice restoration!! Congrats!! I have a old "Recordio" similar model complete, in a small console type cabinet to restore, but it actually uses acetate discs instead of wire recorder. Ive had it stored away for yrs and havent attempted restoration yet. Seems the selling-point of these type home recorders were that familys could record their voices in a "audio-letter" , and mail those recordings to relatives to listen back too if they had a similar playback unit, and/or, try their luck at being a home recording star musically!? If all else failed in the early home recording studio attempts, the units also had a AM radio (some models), & the record player built-in for enjoyment as well! Nice Job!! Icon_wink

My brother gave me one of these Silvertone sets that he got from someone that at work. Mine is in horrible condition but I plan to restore it. It must have been stored in a barn and fortunately it has the lid that helped protect the dial and phono/wire recorder. It also came with a few spools that are labeled something like "Christmas 1949", "Wedding 1951", and "South Pacific". I have a Webster Chicago wire recorder that I started to restore and got busy with other projects. Hopefully in the next couple of months I can finish it up and listen to those spools.

Sean
WØKPX

Wire recorders didn't last long. The wire tangles are temper testing. Half the reels I've come across are sermons and church functions. One preacher outlasted a 1 hour reel. Some have kids reciting nursery rhymes, radio recordings, conversations around the dinner table, and home spun music. They are a lot fun demonstrating to the uninitiated.

Richard