Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-690 with 37-690 trimmers??

I almost have my 38-690 up and running. It had previously been aligned nicely, but I managed to get it a little off when I sprayed deoxit into the bandswitch contacts and unfortunately some of it found its way into the trimmers. I just noticed though, that this chassis has the full complement of trimmers and padders that you'd find in a 37-690 and they're located exactly where they'd be on a 37-690 chassis! There are no trimmers or adjustments where they are indicated to be on the 38-690 schematic. The chassis is clearly stamped as a 38-690 Code 121 and all the other components are where they should be. It's definitely not a 37-690 chassis. I'm not complaining since there are more adjustments on the 37-690 compared to the 38-690, but has anyone ever heard of such a thing??

Bob

Early 38-690's had the same trimmer setup as 37-690's. The later versions did not. I would guess some trimmers were left off the later versions to cut cost. I could be wrong but IMO the early version should be a better radio.

Bill

It's not what you don't know that hurts you it's what you know that's not so.

Even on the smaller 37/38 series sets, I've noticed some have the trimmers called for, others chassis do not. They lack some of the SW trimmers.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php