Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

When it rains, it pours...maybe I need help.

I found another $5.00 radio at shop goodwill.com, and a Craigslist cache. I went to look at the Motorola 54A, and ended up with an old Philco console, and an old intercom...$40 for all three. They wanted to meet me in the parking lot of a Goodwill. They said they were closing their fathers estate, and if I didn't take them, they were going to donate them to Goodwill. Nice ladies from Iowa, they had to drive back tomorrow. I feel bad, but look at the radios!
I wonder if I can find a piece of trim to match the missing bar on the Silvertone? There is a better cabinet for it on EBay for $4.95 right now. I need to look up the Philco to see what model it is. It is a small chassis with five tubes and a small speaker, but I really like the lyre grill and chevron grille cloth. The Motorola is an AA%, I believe. If so, it will be the first one I've done. What do you think?

Charlie in San Antonio

looks like a nice score Icon_clap Icon_clap

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

The Philco console looks like a 610.

Terry

The Motorola is eluding me right now. I thought the models number was 54A, but that is an AA5, and this one definitely is not: transformer, an 80, 41, 75, 6D6, 6A7, and 78. The tag says model 54A16117.

The Philco is a 610F? Correct?

Charlie in San Antonio

Great score. Would'nt feel too bad. They wanted to get rid of them and you will take care of them vs. someone that might gut and repurpose the radio & cabinets.

I am really digging that table top radio on the top of the stack. Which one is that?

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

The two at the top are the speaker for the intercom system (on top), and the sending unit for the intercom (under that one). The speaker has a back on it, so I have yet to look at it, but the sending unit has four tubes and a small transformer on top of the chassis.
The speaker has a nice inlay running around the edge of the top. Kind of a small chevron about 1/8" wide.

Charlie in San Antonio

Good job. You scored a nice find!

Oh lord I want it, lol

I have a nice set of NOS crosley chatterboxes that I want to hook up in the house.
Yours is much prettier.

Good finds!

Me

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

It seems to be a Webster "Teletalk" model 105M? Hard to say since it's hand written. Most likely, I'll get it working and have no use for it after. Let me see if I can find a schematic or at least puzzle out what the fourth tube could be. It does have nice scroll-work on the grille. I'll try to post another picture of the inlay (or decal) on the top for you.

Attached Files Image(s)

Charlie in San Antonio

Wow. Found it. It just has three tubes. On the other hand, the photo on Radio Museum seems to show four, but the write-up list only three. Hmmm. http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/webster2_te..._105m.html

Charlie in San Antonio

Looks like a good season's worth of puttering ahead. Cabinets look pretty good too. Enjoy!

No kidding. I have at least four other radios in front of them. Christmas, everyone I know is getting a radio. I took a look at the speaker a bit more for the intercom. It is a Zenith cabinet, but the speaker itself is long gone, so it is an empty Zenith cabinet.

Here is a closeup of it. You might be able to see the inlay (it is inlay, but not a chevron pattern).

Still wondering about the correct ID for the Motorola.

Attached Files Image(s)

Charlie in San Antonio

I think I found the Motorola. It looks quite a lot like the 61CA or one of the 61D models but in the range of models 61, I can find no mention of how the push button circuit works or the sort of antenna that goes with the push button model. Mine also does not have a speaker plug. Hmmm. Anyway:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...006717.pdf

Charlie in San Antonio

I like that Motorola, oddly I do not see many up here. Either nobody wants to sell or they did not get into the the Northeast as much. I would bet she will sound very fine.
http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=9460

This one in the link seemed close but the knobs on yours are not in a line?!

Paul

Tubetalk1