Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco all transistor Trans-World purchase

So I found a radio today. Paid too much I think...
I did not know that the front cover had all that inside. I thought it would be a simple map. I am a little upset about that. 

Here it is:

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I'll bet Mike would love to fix it for you!!! I DON'T KNOW HOW THOSE XSISTOR WORK.

Terry

I am not going to keep it. I cant live with the missing piece from the lid.

Off to K-town with it Icon_rolleyes

Me

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk;
  If you really like it other then the missing map find someone with one that still has the map in it and make a copy with a colour photo copier. That being said early transistor radios can be a pain to get going, sometimes more effort then it's worth, in this case it is at least a somewhat collectable set.
Regards
Arran

It is not just a map. It is a circle map that spins and has a leather pocket and book in it.
I thought is was just a map I could get a scan of but nope Icon_sad

Me

As of 1/01/2021

It plays fantastic!

A little pot cleaning and 6 D batteries and she is playing "Frank Sinatra all day on 1600AM

Should I recap it? I only see one paper cap in the radio?

Are the caps for this different since it is a Transistor radio?

Me

As of 1/01/2021

I have a brand Z eight transistor set, it blows away any modern portable radio I own, maybe not the Grundig Satelitt though. Many of these sets are really good players and quite sensitive, but is a twentyfive pound radio raelly portable?

Good luck with yours.

Paul

Tubetalk1

The "paper caps" in xsistor sets are electrolytics. That's what they use for coupling and bypassing. Usually low voltage like 15v and fairly low capacitance like 1-20mfd. So you do have to mind the polarity. Most of the time when bad it will cause poor performance and oscillation.

Terry

A very nice radio, even if it is transistor.  I too am intimidated by transistors.

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Yeah, recap it,especially elecrolytics, if they go south they might take unobtanium with it. Take your time, this will be a good set. Google maps and you'll get a replacement, probably like Zenith's.

Tried that,
  The map is a circle with a moving pointer. then there is the leather backing with straps and a log book.
Need the whole lid.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021