Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

shellac on dial cord to secure dial indicator/pointer?

This question pertains to a Philco model 40-180 chassis.

I read somewhere that it is advisable to use shellac to secure the dial pointer/indicator assembly to the dial cord.

Where is a good source to buy this shellac product?

Would super-glue do the job just as well?

Thank you in advance,
Phil D

Phil D Wrote:This question pertains to a Philco model 40-180 chassis.

I read somewhere that it is advisable to use shellac to secure the dial pointer/indicator assembly to the dial cord.

Where is a good source to buy this shellac product?

Would super-glue do the job just as well?

Thank you in advance,
Phil D

A dab of nail polish does the job. Should you need to reposition the pointer later, a drop of acetone will soften the nail polish. I buy the cheap red one at the dollar store. It is real lacquer believe it or not. The clear nail polish does a great job of mending light scratches on radios (along with a felt tip pen to hide the scratch). I would not advise using super glue.

Syl

Syl,

I appreciate the quick reply and answer to my question.

Fingernail polish is sure easier to find than shellac. For a onetime fix, this is the way I will go.

Thanks again for the help that I have received on this forum.

Phil D

I just use the first sticky thing I can reach on the bench Icon_smile Shellac would be at the bottom of the list of things to choose from.

Good old-timey Duco cement is handy to have within reach. So are those .000004 ounce tubes of crazy glue.

While were sharing ideas on this subject, I have always used a small-dab of clear GE 100% silicone household glue applied with the tip of a toothpick. Can be removed easily also for re-positioning dial pointer if needed even after full dry if not too much is used. Silicone wont break down over time with moisture, heat/cold , etc. Flexible also.