Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

49-501 question

Hey, Philcophiles!
I have a question for our resident Philco gurus. I'm going through a 49-501 "boomerang" right now.
In going over the schematic, I notice that C303, a "special" capacitor, .2 mf at 400v, the cap that goes from the B- to chassis ground, is shown with an inductor in series with this capacitor.
Does that cap REALLY have an
And how should I go about replacing this "special condenser"?

I am almost done with that MONSTER 16B. What an excersize in tediousness! All of a sudden, I have no OUTPUT!
In troubleshooting, I found the output trans and the feild coil/input choke is shorted together!! All four connections !
I'm hoping I can remove the speaker and spread these wires apart to take care of the short. Anyone else ever run into this?

Steve McDonald

Have a look here for some info on the special cap. http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip37.htm

On the 16B are you sure its not insulation on the wiring between the chassis and speaker causing the short?

Bill

It's not what you don't know that hurts you it's what you know that's not so.

Yes, it's not in the wires. I know because I unsoldered them all to make sure.
Ron, I got a notice that you answered this topic, but I can't find your reply in the thread. I now know WHAT the special cap is, but not what to do about replacing it.
I hope I'm not being obtuse, or just dense! And is that special condenser 2 mfd or is it .2?
I can't believe all the resistors are all still with in specs as 20% resistors! Wow! And I just bought a kit of 1-watt metal oxide from dave at just radios! Oh, well....

Steve McDonald

Here is more info on the special cap. http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...c6e9960d4b
I would just replace it with a regular cap as Chuck S states.
Should be a .2 MF by looking at the schematic here.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/659/M0013659.htm

On the 16B hopefully someone will reply that has seen this problem before as I have not.

BTW all topic reply emails will come from Ron no matter who replies.
Sorry I'm not Ron.

Bill

It's not what you don't know that hurts you it's what you know that's not so.

Thanks for the info! I shall simply replace the cap. I have both mylar and orange drop in .22@630V. Think I'll use the mylar, because the orange drop is as big as the original triple filters, which I'll end up replacing with three different electrolytics. Now that ought to be fun, hooking my made-up filters to B-! lol
The cab sure perked up, getting 59 years of grunge off it! Ain't it a wonder what Novus #2 will do? I haven't made a decision yet as to how I want to ....ummmm, finish the finish! I have Magnolia Glayzit, or could use dark Briwax. Any tips there??
I've already run the chassis up to line V with my bench variac. I heard 60Hz blubber....blblblblblblbllbblblbl lol~!! It had a 50A5 in it that lit up, yet had no emission...NONE. It musta stumped the previous tech, because the line cord was simply hacked off!
BTW, I have another 49-501 that's now incomplete that I bought with a broken cab, as a parts donor. I won't need the parts. I briefly had that one running, as well. It had a blown 14A7 and the .04@400v Micamold line filter was popped in two.

AS far as the trouble with the 16-B's shorts trouble, ya got me!! I'll get back to it, eventually, but After the 49-501 is done, my next bench victim will be a 49-506! I do these 1949 models, because they're the same vintage as ME! Icon_lol

Bill, thanks! I bet Ron is glad you're not Ron! lol

Steve McDonald