Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another 60 question

Replacement tuning condenser mounting grommets for Philco models 90, 70 and 89 at Radio Daze. Will these work for model 60 also?

Danny

Ive never used used the radiodaze grommets before. They may fit fine, and Im sure someone here can be more helpful for good sources for exact repros. If total "originality" is not important on your restoration, I have re-mounted many orig tuning-condensers securely back to proper height and snug to chassis-fit, by using new "old-style" rubber/ neoprene faucet washers before. You can get those at Lowes, or many different hardware stores, in various sizes in diameters, flat & tapered types. Sometimes, you may have to enlarge the center-hole abit, easily done by holding the new rubber washers with pliers, and carefully drilling out the rubber center hole. Sometimes it is also necessary to add a few flat-washers also, or stack 2 flat washers together for proper height (positioning dial-scale) in the radio cabinet windows, etc. Neoprene type rubber lasts much longer than gum-rubber, and wont harden and deteriorate as fast from age & heat. Icon_wink

Try Renovated Radios.

http://www.renovatedradios.com/parts.html#rubber

Grommets for models 70 and 90 will be, as I recall, too large for the 60.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

One trick I read once on a website was to use RTV to make 'gum' washers. There's probably a zillion ways to approach this but visualize filling the end of a pipe of the correct size, popping it out after it dries, trim the height with an xacto knife, drill a hole and voila!

Of course a trip to the hardware store might be easier but this particular chap was in rural South America where some simple things were not available.

-Bill

I took a look at my Model 60, and a standard grommet might work as a replacement. A site such as McMaster-Carr has many sizes of grommets of different materials and one of those sizes may be close enough for your need. Nice thing about McMaster-Carr is they don't have a limit on how large your order has to be and reasonable shipping. Great source for hardware in general.

Harv