Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 511 Restoration and Questions

I have been digging deeper into the set.  The filament by-pass condenser (2 sections at .5 mfd) has been replaced as you can see in the picture below.  I just disconnected the old block from the circuit and replaced it with two .47 MFD caps with respect to a grounding lug coming off the tuning condenser.  I have been looking at the by-pass condensers (.1 mfd with Plate Resistance winding #3114-A).  They look a little tedious.  I don't really know how to tackle them just yet.  From my understanding the .1 MFD is within the tar and the wire wound resistor sits on top.  Are these both soldered together at each lug on each end??  If so I could just disconnect the old cap and still use the wire wound resistance.

WOULD IT BE OK TO USE CERAMIC DISK CAPACITORS WITHIN THE BY-PASS SECTIONS (PART #3114-A)?????????

I am deciding on what to do with the filter block.  Any ideas?  I will not be re-stuffing capacitors on this set.  There is a bit of room per the last picture, where a stamp resides.  Anyone know anything about this chassis stamp?  I was thinking of putting the new caps in this area.  I don't know just yet.

Thanks

Jon

Attached Files Image(s)

"A Minute of Care is Worth an Hour of Repair" circa 1930.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Philco281989 - 09-03-2015, 09:36 AM
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Jimmy Radionut - 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM