Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 511 Restoration and Questions

I discovered via the schematic and looking at the by-pass condenser's with their plate winding resistors that there are three lugs.  The first lug that connects to the coil houses one side of the .1 MFD cap and one side of the wire wound resistor.  The second lug connects only the wire wound resistor.  The third lug connects only one side of the capacitor to chassis ground.  With this idea in mind I was able to replace each cap with a .1 MFD ceramic capacitor rated to 500V.  All wire wound resistor tested within 10 percent tolerance, success!  I highly doubt the peak voltage of this set is higher than 400V.  I just hope since these ceramic caps are on the DC side of the circuit that the capacitance is not lowered too much as a result of the DC current flowing through them.

Via the pictures below, this is how I replaced the condenser sections within each part.

Jon

Attached Files Image(s)

"A Minute of Care is Worth an Hour of Repair" circa 1930.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Philco281989 - 09-05-2015, 10:30 AM
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Jimmy Radionut - 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM