Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 511 Restoration and Questions

(09-05-2015, 06:49 PM)Mondial Wrote:  Jon, a little clarification about caps in general. DC current does not pass through a capacitor unless it is bad (leaky). A capacitor will have a DC  voltage applied across it, but aside from the initial current needed to charge the cap, no further DC current will flow.

In the case of  high capacitance ceramic caps, the effective capacitance is a function of both voltage applied and temperature, The capacitance may change a few percent as the applied voltage is increased, but it really won't make much of a difference when used as a bypass.

What sort of caps are you planning to use for the power supply filters? Mylar or polypropylene film would be recommended, as modern small capacitance electrolytics won't hold up in this application.

Thank you very much for the clarification on this situation.  I have decided to leave the ceramics in place as it will not make much of a difference.

You bring up a very good question on the main filter block.  I was planning on using electrolytic's rated to 600V due to the limited space under the chassis.  Would this be a bad idea, and for my learning benefit (Since I am still a novice) why should I not use electrolytic's for this set?

Thanks

Jon

"A Minute of Care is Worth an Hour of Repair" circa 1930.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Philco281989 - 09-06-2015, 07:15 AM
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Jimmy Radionut - 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM